[9]

CHAPTER NINE

The strange thing is, when I wake in the morning, the nightmare remains firmly lodged in my brain, and not blurry and distant like most dreams become in daylight. I can see with clarity the silhouette of the man, can hear his honey-like voice in my ear, and can still feel the cold hard object hitting my chest and the unbearable pain that followed.

It feels like more than just a dream – it feels like a memory.

I shake the feeling off and push the dream out of my mind. It was a nightmare and nothing else. It never really happened. It's not real.

It's not very easy to forget, however, and by the time I've reached school, thoughts of it swarm my mind, worse than before.

Once I'm through the gates, I see Caden standing alone in the courtyard and make my way over to him, hoping to tell him about it and get it off my chest. The strong wind blows against my cheek as I make my way over, but as usual, I don't feel it. I walk past the corner of the main school building and when I look over at Caden once more, I see that he isn't alone after all. My heart drops like it did yesterday as he left me on the field and all thoughts of my nightmare flee my mind.

He's talking to a group of guys, who are laughing at something he's just said. At the centre of the group is Branden, a casual smile on his face. As I stand there, rooted to the spot, their conversation drifts over to me, making me feel sick.

"...and she actually believed me," Caden's saying. "Right at this very moment, she actually thinks we're friends. You should have heard her yesterday. I swear, it was hilarious. I could hardly contain my laughter."

"How could you stand being around her so long?" someone asks.

"I honestly don't know. I mean, she's a freak. She had cuts all over her arms from when she made that glass smash in science and the next morning, they were gone. She told me that she was a fast healer, but I swear, she's crazy – psychotic."

"Aren't you worried?" a guy I only half-recognise asks. "She might try to kill you like she killed Courtney."

Caden laughs. "Melissa? Hurt me? She's pathetic. She couldn't intentionally hurt anyone, even if she wanted to."

I can't stand to listen anymore, and so I back away before walking quickly towards the lawn, keeping my eyes on the ground so people won't see the tear slowly making its way down my cheek. I've only known Caden for a few days, but what he's done to me hurts.

I sink to the ground in the shadow of the tree and try to control my breathing, which is coming out in short and fast breaths. This can't be happening – isn't my life already bad enough? I can feel a pain in my chest so intense that I have to hold a hand to my heart and press until it slowly fades, throbbing like an extra heartbeat. It takes me another few minutes to gain my composure and pull myself together. I still have to go to class and I definitely don't want people to see me like this.

First class is math, and I am grateful for the complex equations our teacher gives us to do. They distract my mind enough for me to forget about everything, even if it is only for an hour. The moment I step out of my math classroom and into the loud and noisy hall, thoughts of Caden return to me like a punch in the stomach.

My next class is history.

When I arrive, Caden isn't there yet, and so I take my usual place up the back, open my books and busy myself with reading through my textbook even though it isn't necessary for class. A minute before class begins, Branden and his friends walk through the door with Caden chatting to a guy I know as Mick. They all take seats in the first and second rows, and Caden slides casually into the seat closest to the door, not once looking over at me even though I'm sure he knows I'm here and watching.