[20]

CHAPTER TWENTY

"So, what did you guys do to end up in detention?" I ask as we walk down a fairly quiet street.

"I'm often late and I cut class every now and then, so the teachers tend to give me detentions all the time," Harrison says, shrugging. "But Lauren here has been wearing the wrong uniform consistently for two weeks, so they're giving her detention every afternoon until she wears the right skirt."

I look down at Lauren's black and white polka dot skirt. "As you can see, their plan isn't really working," she says, gesturing to her outfit.

I smile for what feels like the hundredth time today.

The ice-cream parlour is empty when we reach it, which comes as no big surprise.  We're served by the shop keeper instantly. Lauren goes for mango flavoured ice-cream, Harrison gets cookies and cream, and I go for the chocolate. We're all given extra big scoops.

The young woman behind the counter smiles as we pay her. "You know, you're my first customers for the day and it's past three in the afternoon."

"I can't say I'm surprised," Lauren says. "The cold can't be helping your business."

"No, but it's nearing Winter anyway, so it's not a huge inconvenience." She smiles, her eyes passing over each of us in turn. The jolt she gets when she recognises me is far from discreet.

"Oh, wow, you're–" She stops, her mouth hanging open.

I lick my ice-cream and stare at her, waiting.

Eventually, the lady just shakes her head. "I suppose this whole ordeal is much worse for you, isn't it?" She shoots me a sympathetic look and I inwardly cringe. Yes, my life is shit. No, I don't need your sympathy.

I shrug, trying for nonchalance, and after that, no one says anything for a lengthy minute in which every sound is amplified – a cacophony of painful engines, screeches and beeping horns. When Harrison speaks, it's a shock to my ears, and I'm quickly brought back into the state of dulled senses and dulled awareness – dulled everything.

"We should probably go," he says.

And the lady shakes her head, as if awakening herself from a trance. "Yes, of course. Enjoy the ice-cream." Then we all say goodbye and leave, ice-creams in hand.

"I'm guessing you see her often?" I ask after stepping outside, the door swinging softly shut behind us. It's a lame attempt to steer the conversation away from my 'disease', but it works.

"Yeah," Harrison replies. "We're regular customers."

"I bet you guys are getting sick of all this ice-cream then."

"It's turned into an addiction, actually," Lauren says. "I can't go for more than a day without it."

I raise an eyebrow. "Aren't you worried about putting on weight?"

"Nah, I've got a fast metabolism." She grins.

It's been only five minutes when we reach their place and I stop out front as I realise everything I'd forgotten. I still have to warn Rand about Patrick and avoid a guy who's coming to kill me. In my head, I laugh at myself. I'm making it sound as if warning Rand and avoiding death are just chores to tick off a list. Where'd the fear go?

"I better go," I say, as Lauren opens the door, the slightest wisp of a grin still on my face. "I wouldn't want to intrude, and besides, I have things I need to get done."

"Oh," she says. "Well, I suppose I'll see you tomorrow. And don't worry about intruding, you can come over whenever you like."

Then my impenetrable bubble of happiness and fearlessness comes crashing down as reality spreads its arms and welcomes me. I can't come over whenever I like, and I certainly can be friends with them. I've already put my parents in hospital, and I'm scared to think what might happen to Lauren and Harrison if we really do become friends. I'll just be putting them in danger, and even if they don't get hurt, the chances are that I won't be seeing them for that much longer. I'll be moving soon – that is, if I don't freeze to death or get killed by a nameless group who swapped me with my best friend.