Chapter One

"Mr. Avery would like to invite you backstage," a deep voice says.

Anna and I turn and are greeted by a large, bald man with muscles the size of my head.

My brows furrow. I feel sick.

Shane Avery wants us backstage? Shane Avery is the drummer for Australia's hottest band, Darkness Within. According to the latest Rolling Stone magazine, he's also #1 on the hottest eligible bachelor list. Most girls would kill to be with him or to be invited backstage.

Not me.

Anna's eyes light up. She nods yes at the same time that I politely say, "No, thank you."

Anna's eyes grow wide, her chestnut brown eyes match her long brown hair that falls over her Darkness Within tank top. "What do you mean no?"

I shake my head. "No."

"When Shane Avery invites you backstage, you say yes."

"You go," I tell Anna. And I mean it. She's a huge fan of the band. She should go and enjoy herself. I don't mind running around the festival solo for a bit and meeting up with her later.

Anna turns to the beefy man. "Excuse my friend for just one moment please."

She steps aside and drags me along by the arm. "Cam, please," Anna begs. "What are the odds that we were picked out of the entire festival to go backstage? There's over 300 bands playing here. Puh-lease." Her voice is high and desperate. She is my best friend and I'd do anything for her. Almost anything. She's used to getting her way, so I'll give her a break. But this isn't some random fan selection. I don't know how Shane spotted us in a crowd of people waiting for Brand New to go onstage but he did.

Damn, I knew I shouldn't have posted on Instagram where we were going.

"I can't," I start. Anna is my friend, sure. We met in college and we have fun together. But I've never told her about Shane. Or Taylor. And the dark past that haunts my nightmares and my body. Those secrets stay with me, and I keep them buried safely where they can't hurt me when I'm around other people.

"Please Cam, please do this for me. Please," Anna begs.

I bite my lip. I am not sure I can keep my composure. But then again, maybe this is a good thing. What better time than now to get it over with? To see Shane again finally and get some type of closure. Though, I doubt I'll ever feel ready to see him or have closure. As long as I have those scars on my arms, he'll haunt me. IT will haunt me.

"If you don't like it once we're there, we can leave," Anna assures me.

My pulse quickens and my stomach does somersaults. I look at Anna, her eyes pleading and she sticks out her lower lip in a fake sadness.

I'll do this for Anna. But I'll partly do it for me too. Just to see if I can face him.

I finally nod.

Anna dances, squealing. "YAY!" She throws her arms around me before pulling me back to the security guard, who looks annoyed. "Let's go."