Chapter 12

Update from 2020 Andrea - I am currently in the middle of studying for exams, but if people are still enjoying this novel - I will try to update more in November! 

Please comment if you are still reading this :) I would really appreciate to see how much engagement there is! x

Chapter 12.

For some reason, the forest becomes more disturbing as we approach it. With its hybrid mix of tropical and alpine foliage it just doesn't seem real.

Then again, nothing does around here.

But the cool air seeping out from within, is so very inviting.

I can't help but think this whole forest is a trap...although, everything around here probably is.

I pick up my pace again and stare down at Maddy's unconscious form, draped across my arms. She looks terrible, her eyes are sunken and her skin is sallow, absolutely devoid of water.

I still can't wrap my head around how she got so bad, so fast.

To be perfectly honest with myself, I'm actually feeling fine now. There's still saliva in my mouth and none of my muscles are aching like they were earlier, I wonder what the deal is with that...

It's like I've suddenly come back to life.

Charlotte and Bex still seem to be on the brink of consciousness, but they're looking worse for wear at the moment too. Perhaps I just lucked out or am actually just better at handling the heat?

It must be something else, because why else would I be feeling perfectly healthy right now, whilst the rest of my teammates are suffering?

Well, I don't have time to think about myself right now, the fact that I'm not feeling dehydrated anymore feels like some kind of blessing, because I have the energy to help my teammates.

The ground beneath my bare feet begins to change, slowly morphing from the hot sands of the beach to a cooler forest floor. Leaves begin to crunch under me and the smells of intermingling pine and wildflower fill the fresh air.

"I have a feeling this place will get pretty cold at night..." Bex sighs, taking a few deep breaths of the sweet smelling air.

I agree with him, it's not like the producers would want to make this easy for us. But I don't want my team getting dehydrated and then hypothermic, that would definitely make for a hellish day.

"We've got to find a water source." I mutter, reiterating our main goal.

I'm thankful that my health has returned, otherwise I feel like I would've passed out a while back, from the dead weight of Madison and from my own desperation for water.

None of us have a 'water finding' talent, so the best we can do is slog through the undergrowth and use the signs of nature to discover a stream or a pond...Anything really.

"I don't know if I can take this much longer." Charlotte pants, "I think I'm on my last legs Jace."

"How are you holding up?" Bex adds.

I shrug, "I'm actually feeling fine, but I understand, you guys look terrible."

"Lucky for some..."

I decide not to reply, I don't exactly have the time to get in an argument with someone on the brink of delirium, which I'm almost certain that Charlotte and Bex are. We've all just got to push through.

That's what I've always done; Push through.

Get to the next day, live in the moment, never look forward...Because my future has never been particularly bright.