06 | an intense chat

"Even though some of you are pretty thin, I think that you all have fat hearts, and that's what matters."

—Pitch Perfect (2012)

☁☁☁☁

Sachi had hoped for the longest time that someday, one day, she'd get the chance to speak to Hunter Castro again. Maybe she hadn't expected for them to become friends again, but she knew that she wanted the opportunity to apologize to him. To tell him with every ounce of her heart how sorry she was.

            Now that the chance to tell him everything she'd holed up inside of her for past four years was in front of her, all the words vanished from her lips. Her throat felt dry, and she had to clamp her mouth shut to keep from looking like an idiot.

            Hunter arched an eyebrow. "Well?"

            She heaved a breath, and her fingers wrapped tightly around the handles of the tube. "I'm sorry," she finally said. "I'm sorry, and I don't care if you don't believe me, but I need to say this—I'm so sorry, Hunter."

            He blinked, and suddenly, he couldn't hold her gaze. His eyes flitted down to the water, and he watched the ripples along the edge as the fish underneath surfaced.

            "I'm sorry," she continued. "I know what I said that day was wrong. I just couldn't help myself; I knew you told me that secret trusting that I'd keep it, and I'm sorry I blabbed." Her grip tightened. "He just... he made me so fucking mad. I couldn't listen to him insult you and stand by like he had the right to. Because he didn't."

            Sachi blinked, the tears starting to form in the corners of her eyes. She pushed on, ignoring the burn at the back of her throat. "I betrayed you that day. I broke your trust. And I totally understand if you never want to speak to me again, but I think you should know that I've regretted shouting at your father ever since I did." She lifted her face to meet his. "I guess, I've gotten so used to needing you around. I wanted you to need me too."

            There. Everything was out in the open now. There was no turning back.

            Hunter didn't speak for what felt like an eternity. He couldn't look her in the eye, and each passing second chipped at her resolve till she felt like she would break.

            Then he murmured, "I'm not mad at you. Not anymore."

            Sachi brightened noticeably. "Really?"

            "Really. I realized that after you left; I'd taken the anger I felt at my dad out on you, and that was wrong. You probably shouldn't have said what you did, but I understand where you were coming from." His gaze locked with hers, and she saw the years of regret hidden behind the green irises. "I was such an asshole to you, and I never apologized to you because I wasn't sure how I could make you forgive me, because I didn't think I deserved it. I still don't."

            She reached over for his hand before he could jerk it back, and she intertwined their fingers. "I forgive you. I forgave you the moment you shut the door in my face."

            He winced. "Sorry."

            "S'okay. I understood where you were coming from too."

            Hunter nodded, and she felt him squeeze her hand slightly. "I forgive you too for what it's worth. I'm sorry. If there's anything I can do to make it up to you, just say it."

            "You don't have to do anything." Sachi ran her thumb along his knuckles. "I just want my best friend back. It's what I've always wanted."