13 | a perfect gift

"Never let your wings be stolen from you."

—Maleficent (2014)

☁☁☁☁

"I cannot believe you're making me take you shopping," Hunter complained from the driver's seat. The two were seated in his Jeep, on their way to the mall. After breakfast, Sachi had cornered Hunter and forced him into the car with a specific destination and a no-nonsense mindset to go with.

He'd been complaining the entire drive, and though it was expected, it was getting on her nerves. She barely spared him a glance, focusing instead on the tree line beyond.

"You know why we're going," she said, tapping her fingers on the armrest. "It's Elliot's birthday soon."

"Yes. Okay. But do I have to help you shop? Isn't that more Erin's department?"

She glared at him. He had one hand on the top of the steering wheel, the other resting at the bottom. He looked so relaxed, so unlike the way she herself drove with her tightened grip and her rigid posture.

"Erin is hanging out with Clare," she answered lightly. "And shopping isn't just a girl's thing. You're a guy. Elliot's a guy—"

"Thanks for noticing."

"—and you know what kind of things guys like. So, you can help me. You will probably be more helpful than Erin to begin with."

Hunter huffed a sigh as he took a left. She'd done her research beforehand, and found that the nearest shopping mall was a few miles away. Obviously she wasn't going to get Elliot to drive her, and Lola was already out of the house when she'd woken up. She preferred Hunter's company, anyway.

"How much farther?"

Ignoring the animosity in his tone, Sachi checked her phone, where the GPS was pulled up. "You'll take another right in four hundred feet. Then it should be on the right."

"This right?"

"Um..." The GPS was slower than it should've been, and she had to quickly check the street names before confirming. "Yes. Yeah, turn here."

Unfortunately, Hunter had already started to speed past, and the car curved sharply to take the turn. She latched onto the door handle, bracing herself as they sped forward.

Once she felt they were steady, she stole a glimpse at Hunter, who looked just as winded as she felt. Still, he just gulped before snapping, "You're terrible at handling the GPS."

"Sorry." There was only one sign ahead, and it was on the right. As they neared, she read the words: Crimson Mall. The parking lot definitely wasn't packed, and the complex itself didn't look large to begin with.

As Hunter found a parking spot, Sachi skimmed the list of store names. There were a few she recognized among others she didn't. Guess they'd have to explore.

The car slowed to a stop once he found a spot as close to the entrance as he could, and Sachi slid out immediately. Her feet found the ground, and she kept a hand against the door as she yanked out her purse.

It was a relief to be back on the ground again. She would be driving them back. There was no way Hunter would be in the driver's seat again.

He moved around the car to where she was standing, hands tucked away. His gaze locked on the mall, and he frowned. "It doesn't look that big," he remarked. Then, he stole a look at her, at her pale face. "You okay?"