11 | a girl overboard

"I'll always take care of you, and my children will take care of you too, and their children after that, and their children after that... forever, and ever."

—Hocus Pocus (1993)

☁☁☁☁

When they'd ended back up at the lake house later that day, Erin was already back from spending the day with Clare. She lounged in one of the lawn chairs, and she lifted a hand in greeting as they neared.

            Sachi waved back, though the boys were deep in conversation behind her and didn't notice Erin. She could barely make out fragments of their words, and it was hard to follow, so she'd given up on trying to eavesdrop. It was better to just let them work it out themselves instead of interfering and shattering what little progress they'd made.

            Erin seemed to notice their restlessness too, because her eyebrows rose. She could almost see the question written across her face: What happened?

            Sachi gave a one-shouldered shrug. She decided to add on a small smile, just to assure her that nothing terrible had happened on their journey.

            When Elliot pulled the boat close enough to dock, Sachi tossed the rope over the potted plant, tightening it before scrambling out and onto the shore. She heard the sloshing in the water as Hunter got out after, and then Elliot after him.

            "Do I want to even ask why you're all soaked?" Erin's voice held no small amount of amusement, and she even reached out to tug on one of Sachi's damp strands. She reeled backwards.

            "Ask him," Elliot and Sachi said at the same time.

            Hunter tried to hold back his grin, but failed. Shaking out his hair and shooting water droplets all over the place, he shot her a smirk. "What happens in the lake stays in the lake."

            Sachi scoffed, and she nudged him with a hip. "This idiot decided it would be fun to throw me overboard. Obviously, I had to pull him in too. And Elliot...well, let's just say Elliot said the wrong thing at the wrong time."

            He snorted as he moved past, despite the smile that tugged on his lips. "You guys were just being jerks. I didn't say anything wrong."

            "I disagree."

            "Okay. Whatever," Erin interrupted before an argument could ensue. "Mom brought back a pizza if you're all interested."

            Both boys gave her incredulous looks. That hardly surprised her. Guys tended to have bottomless stomachs, a fact she was well aware of due to the boys next to her. At least she never had to worry about leftovers when they were around.

            Hunter held a hand to his stomach. "My stomach sounds like a fucking T-rex. I need food. Pronto."

            Elliot nodded eagerly as well, and after a small bark of laughter, they headed inside to eat.

☁☁☁☁

            Lady was especially obedient that morning when Sachi attached the leash to her collar. After checking to make sure it was on right, she loosened her grip and looked up at Lola, who was bent over, peering into the fridge.

            She scanned its contents with pursed lips, and after a few moments, she shut the door with a click, cutting off the glow of light. "We have no food," she announced. "I was worried about this, but I thought I'd be able to make it to the store tomorrow." She groaned at the thought of having to head out, and held a hand to her forehead.