II. FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL BITES

▹

     Maya stood in front of Beacon Hills High School, next to her two best friends, Scott and Stiles. Her and Stiles were both facing Scott as they waited for him to show them his injury. According to the rushed text she received at 3:00 a.m, he had been bitten in the forest the other night when they had gotten separated. 

     "Okay, let's see this thing," Stiles ordered Scott eagerly. Scott did as told and lifted the front of his shirt mid-way to reveal a bandage that had a speck of blood soaking through. 

     Stiles leaned back in surprise until he straightened up again. He pulled his hand out of his pocket and tried to touch the covered up injury but Scott flinched away. 

     "Whoa," Scott said defensively, pulling his shirt down. He looked at both Maya and Stiles and knew they wanted to know what had done this to him. "It was too dark to see anything, but I'm pretty sure it was a wolf."

     "You better get checked out for rabies," Maya commented, pulling her backpack farther up her shoulder as the trio made there way to the front doors of the school. 

     "A wolf bit you?" Stiles clarified, his eyebrows raised in question. 

     "Uh-huh," Scott responded. 

     Stiles shook his head. "Uh-uh, not a chance."

     "I heard a wolf howling," Scott tried to justify. 

     Stiles shrugged his shoulders as he shook his head again. "No you didn't."

     "What do you mean no I didn't? How do you know what I heard?" Scott asked, clearly confused with Stiles' antics. 

     "Scotty boy, let me put this simply. California doesn't have wolves. Not for, like, 60 years," Maya told the boy. The three of them stopped walking as Stiles and Maya turned to face Scott again. 

     "Really?" Scott asked dumbly. 

     "No, I'm kidding, Beacon Hills is infested with wolves," Maya replied sarcastically. She rolled her eyes when Scott seemed to have believed her. 

     "She's kidding, there are no wolves in California," Stiles clarified for the shaggy haired boy. 

     "Alright, well, if you guys don't believe me about the wolf then you're definitely not going to believe me about when I tell you...I found the body," Scott slowly told them, for dramatic effect of course.