V. NEAR HEART ATTACKS

▹

     "First he thought I was gay and then he thought I was on drugs," Scott explained to Maya, telling her about his conversation with Coach. Scott was trying to get out of playing in the lacrosse game on Saturday since the night before was spent being threatened by Derek about how if he played, he'd kill Scott.

     "Well, are you gay? Are you on drugs?" Maya questioned. She wiped at her eyes that were drooping due to the late night Star Wars marathon she had with Stiles. 

     "No, and no, Maya stay on topic," Scott told the girl next to him. The phone in his hand then beeped and he brought it up closer to his face so he could see it. After he read it he groaned. "And now my mom is coming to watch me play and possibly kill someone on the field."

     "Well, at least she's a nurse, so if you do kill someone she can clean it up," Maya reasoned.

     When the two teenagers turned the corner to walk up the flight of stairs, they spotted a familiar, tall brunette that the shaggy haired boy had been making heart eyes at for the past week. 

     "Hey," Allison greeted, continuing walking down the stairs to meet up with the two best friends. 

     "Hey," Scott replied sweetly, a bright smile plastered on his face. 

     Maya greeted the girl with a wave and a toothy grin as she took a small step back to leave room for the lovebirds. 

     "Busy?" Allison asked Scott, gesturing towards his phone, which was still held up close to his face as if he was reading it. 

     "No, uh, no, it's just my mom, she's nothing," Scott stuttered out, though he quickly realized his mistake when he saw the confused look on Allison's face. "I mean, it's nothing. I'm never busy for you."

     At Scott's sweet attempt at flirting, Allison smiled. "I like the sound of that." As Allison giggled at her words Scott stood there with the biggest smile on his face. "Well, I got to head to French class but I wanted to let you know that I'm coming to see you play tomorrow."

     "You are?" Scott clarified in disbelief. If he thought he had bad luck before this must be absolutely horrible for him now. 

     "And we're all going out afterwards. You, me, Lydia, Jackson. It's going to be great," Allison continued. When Maya started rocking back and forth on her toes while looking around everywhere aimlessly, Allison's eyes diverted their attention to her. "Maya, you should come to. Bring Stiles with you. You two totally look cute together. I'll see you guys at lunch, I have to go."