3. Numb

Recap: A loud booming sound spun Niall out of his thoughts, and he heard Liam yelling.

   In an instant, Niall lost control over the wheel, he tried desperately to slow as soon as he could, but it almost seemed impossible. He reflexively steered away. He looked over at Liam, everything seeming to go in slow motion. Liam's eyes met his, and Niall instantly saw the panic as Liam stretched out his hand towards him. In that instant, everything went black, leaving Niall in an empty abyss.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Niall wiped his eyes, stop crying, stop crying, don't cry... It didn't work. He cried anyways. If anything, he cried harder. Niall closed his eyes and tensed himself up. He had to stop crying... But it hurt so much, Niall thought. He couldn't believe that he had thought that things would work out. Niall couldn't believe how he liked her and how much he had felt that she wanted him... He shook his head, trying to get her green eyes out of his head. He was such an idiot...

"Niall?" He tensed up more than he thought he could. Blinking his eyes rapidly and wiping his cheeks quickly. He didn't want to let Liam know he was crying... Liam already had so much to worry about. Liam was doing okay now, and Niall wasn't about to ruin that. "I tried texting ya', but you didn't answer... What's up?"

Niall turned around and tried to smile at his friend, but no matter how hard he tried, he wouldn't be able to lie to Liam. So Liam quickly went to sit next to Niall. "What's wrong?" He asked with worried eyes.

"S-she broke up with me..." And as he said it, it kicked in again. He started to cry and hiccup as he tried hard to fight the tears back. Then, finally, he shook his head, "Is there something wrong with me?" He asked, his insecurities hitting hard as he stared down at his hands.

"Niall..." Liam pulled him into a hug, "Of course there's nothing wrong with you. You're one of the most perfect people I know..."

,

"Leave me alone." Niall said firmly, but the boys advanced. The tall one, Blake, sneers at him. 

"Or what, Blondie?"

Niall stuttered, his heart beating rapidly. What could he do? What could Niall do to them? He was outnumbered. His chances of survival were slim; they always were. It seemed like he was going home with new cuts and bruises every week. He knew his dad would be furious again, but no matter how much his father tried to prevent him from being bullied, Niall couldn't escape it.

"Leave him alone, Blake." Niall's head snapped in Liam's direction, his heart leaping with joy. Liam had Duke standing next to him, glaring at Blake and his minions.

Blake took a step back and shrugged, but Niall saw the fear in his eyes, "Whatever, he's not worth it." and they left.

Duke looked at Niall, "Are you okay?" Niall nodded, marvelling at how big Duke was. He was the toughest kid in school, and for some odd reason, Liam was the only one who could befriend him. Finally, Duke walked away, and Liam looked into Niall's eyes. Niall smiled, which wiped away Liam's worried look that he had on.

.

Niall watched from the shadows. He watched Liam sit there with his knees to his chest, convulsing every now as he cried. Niall's heart reached out for him, but Niall had no clue what to do. He had been coming over to ask Liam if he wanted to go play ball, but now he wasn't so sure that would be very good.

After a few minutes, he wiped away the few tears that had formed from watching his friend in such a fragile state. He turned on his heels, and he instantly knew what to do. Niall soon returned with the new movies he had just spent his months' savings on and the keychain he had meant to give to Liam but always forgot.