7. Forever, Remember?

Dedicated to @kadiebmore for being a fantastic supporter of Heroes, you've been stellar.

Recap: ...Liam was just dozing off again, trying to sleep away the pain when Greg came banging in, making Liam jump up, his heart beating fast with panic.

Greg's face was ashen, his lips white as snow, his hands lifted, and Liam noted how they shook, "Niall..."

....

In just a flash, it was like Liam was within himself. Through the shakey moments of barely getting dressed and through the long heart-wrenching car ride...he was lost. The memories came in flashes, like a chaotic whirlwind, a movie that had no order; Liam couldn't stop them from flashing by. All they did was cause him the kind of torment that left him suffocating. It felt like he was drowning, and there was no way out—not this time.

He felt the shutter of movement, just enough to bring his vision into focus. Just enough to realize that he was alone in the car. His body moved without his mind. Liam was racing to catch up to Greg, and Liam felt like he would fall apart. He was going to fall apart, oh god...

The bright lights, the ambulance, and oh god, Niall's mom sobbing, devastated, her hands shaking as she tried to talk to the police.

For whatever reason, Liam's mind drifted as he stood there amidst the shuffling bodies. The paramedics moved around him as if everything around him slowed down. He sucked in a breath, feeling his veins turn to ice.

He remembered a moment before he could cope adequately with his feelings. A moment where Liam felt exhilarated and alive. He thought he was about to explode with every touch. All he knew was that she was what he needed. Everything felt so...so bloody right. He didn't feel sick, or weak, or as though he were the tainted darkness on everyone else's life. At the moment, he was Liam Payne, and the beautiful brunette that was pressed up against him — Ella who had looked at him with awe instead of painstaking sympathy — made him feel, well, different.

The flow of alcohol running through his system kept his body buzzing that night. It helped him forget. It helped him live, for it numbed his brain.

But all of a sudden, Ella wasn't Ella anymore. The person he was holding tight against his chest, with his mouth pressed against hers and his tongue greedily exploring hers, she wasn't Ella anymore... She wasn't this amazing girl he spoke with moments ago with this dazzling smile and chocolate brown eyes that were wide and exciting... No, the person that his mind placed in her stance was that of another. Another worldly being that floated at the edges of his mind. An angel with perfect brunette hair, seemingly forever tainted a yellow blonde with sparkling blue eyes and the laugh of a thousand chiming bells. The person in her place was that of his best friend. And even though Liam felt guilt well in the pits of his stomach, his mind begged him to go on. To keep on taking...

Everything was a thousand times more electric, and he couldn't stop for anything. He deepened the kiss, letting out a moan at the back of his throat. It was so damn wrong, but for once, he could care less.

Niall floated. He felt like he was in the water. His body, light and his sense numb. He watches the scene. Noticing the familiar room that he'd woken from. He watched himself momentarily, and Niall wondered what was in his head as he lay there unconscious, not yet aware that when Niall woke up, he would not remember one dumb thing.

Liam sat there, right at the side of Niall's bed. Niall watched him, the world around him ticking by slowly, the soft hum of eery silence and the shuffles of nurses in the halls enveloped the space around them.

Liam sat there with a pained expression. His brows knitted together, and his brown curls fell into his eyes. Niall watched intently, wondering why he was seeing this.