8. Always

Dedicated to my friend, Taz, for lovin' all dem fanfics.

*thanks for reading this fanfic. I did have a sequel for HEROES, called ANGELS, planned. A slightly spicy one, but at this time, I don't see a foreseeable future of it going public, but feel free to read the snippet at the end of the chapter. Who knows, maybe I will post Angels.*

***

Recap: It was out of his control. He didn't know who started it, but he could care less. He really didn't care at all. All he knew was that he loved Liam Payne more than life itself- literally. Because he tried life without Liam, and it fucking sucked. It was an empty life that he couldn't face.

His lips were warm, soft and brilliant. Kissing Liam was like having the greatest meal ever, and all Niall wanted was more. He flicked Liam's bottom lip, causing a rumbling moan at the back of his throat when Liam opened his mouth. Niall's mind exploded. Lights danced behind his eyes as they somehow managed to stay afloat in the lake.

This is happening, Niall thought, and surely it can't get better than this. It can't.

...

Niall couldn't get it out of his head. He felt a shiver cascade up his back as he thought about that kiss and the way Liam had looked at him. It was like seeing a whole different side of Liam that Niall hadn't seen before. That dark depth in his eyes... Niall held the blanket closer to himself. If he had drowned in that lake... if Liam was the last person he's ever touched, he was utterly okay with that.

They had stayed like that in the water, wrapped up in each other's arms until Liam had pulled away. His hands were gripping Niall's flesh tightly in a way that made Niall crave more. Liam had looked into Niall's eyes, their noses barely touching. His expression was something from another world, something he couldn't make out. Then all of a sudden, Liam was swimming backwards, away from him.

Niall was too dazed to think about going after him. He just watched Liam walk away with a towel around his shoulders. Niall wasn't worried about Liam retreating into himself because there was something in the way Liam held him and looked at him to make that positive. So Niall stayed in the water, floating around for almost a good twenty minutes.

He knew that Liam was probably just as confused as him, and he needed his space. But Niall knew Liam felt the same way. Liam had smiled at him — when Niall had come in from the lake — while he chopped up vegetables. Niall had helped him with dinner, and it was silent, but it was a comfortable silence. There was nothing to worry about. It was just the two of them, and Niall wasn't concerned about rushing anything because all that ran through his mind was: Liam likes me.

Niall sighed, closing his eyes and awaited the sleep to overcome him. He fell asleep with a smile.

...

The wind roared outside, whistling like a banshee screaming for a thousand souls. Niall's eyes fluttered open when a loud clapping sound thundered from afar. The rain was loud. It was so heavy that he swore he could hear each drop that splattered against the Lake House. He closed his eyes again, trying to sleep through the noise when the other side of his bed dipped slightly. He froze, wondering if it was only in his head, but then he felt an arm pull him against something much more solid.

"Is this okay?" Liam whispered, and despite how his lips caressed Niall's ear, he sounded so far, so small...

Niall's heart was pumping fast. He managed an "of course" and hesitantly intertwined their fingers together. The thundering went off again, except it was much closer. Liam tightened his hold on Niall, letting out a shaky breath.