Chapter 2: Indeed

With Golds help the group had managed to get to Neverland and where now heading for the shore. Hook was steering the ship and Regina was stood a few feet away looking over her shoulder every so often. She didn't know why she felt shy around him all of a sudden; it wasn't like they hadn't met, finally she built up the courage to go talk to him.

"Why are you slowing down?" She questioned making conversation out of the ships movements.
"In case you didn't know my sons life is in danger," she quickly added at his non existent response.
" oh, I know, my hot-headed Queen. The plan is to bring us to the far side of the island, link up with the widest part of the river, and.. then we sail right through, take him by surprise. The irony..." He muttered the last words.
"What irony?" She questioned as he turned to face her.
"Oh, I spent more time than I care to remember trying to leave this place to kill Rumplestiltskin. And here I am, sailing right back into its heart with him as my guest of honor. It's not quite the happy ending I was hoping for." He sighed a laugh recalling Milah and closed his eyes to stop tears from forming.

Noticing his pain Regina tried to change the topic slightly but there was only so much they could talk about without pain or anger being involved. "Greg Mendell said something funny to me. He said I'm a villain, and that villains don't get happy endings. You believe that?"
"I hope not or we've wasted our lives," he looked over to her and gave a weak sympathetic smile and she returned it.

They both heard shouting and headed onto the lower deck, she went first and he placed an arm around the small of her back as they walked down the stairs. She couldn't decide if he did it to annoy her like he did most things or as an actual nice gesture.

"What's going on?" Hook asked looking around.
"Gold. He's gone." David explained.
"Good riddance," Regina mumbled but hook clearly heard her as he let out a little laugh.

----------------------

An hour or so had gone by and Regina had retreated to the lower deck. Sat with her head in her hands. Suddenly she heard footsteps and removed her head from her hands and looked at the door half expecting one of the charmings to give her some sort of hope speech about how she can change and that they'll find Henry. But much to her displeasure it was the one handed pirate. Once she saw the hook clawed around the door as it opened she let out an extremely loud sigh. "You alright love?" He asked out of habit receiving a sigh and eye roll from the queen.

"Considering I'm on a ship with the two people I've spend the majority of my life trying to kill, that irritating daughter of theirs who is no doubt going to give me a 24/7 headache! And that little imp is no doubt going to make sure Pan knows where here and..." She paused realising that she went of one of I'm her own little world "and you..." She extended her arm in a gesture towards him.
"You? Is that all I get? No 'guy liner'? No-" he was cut of by her saddening sigh; "really not in the mood..." She hesitated on what to call him after his last remark. "Please, call me Killian." He imputed with a smile.
"Whatever." She mumbled under her breath looking at the floor.

He saw her discomfort and stared at the floor for a few moments until he added; "Look I know your hurting Regina if you want me to leave I ca-"
"No!" She said almost immediately and kicked herself for how desperate she sounded.
"Stay," the brunette said more calmly offering him a welcoming smile.
"As you wish lov-" she stopped himself. "Regina," he hobbled across the old wooden flooring and sat next to her. Her posture was still uptight and he could sense the front she was putting on so he subconsciously placed his good arm around her shoulders and pulled her into him, she looked at him and confusion mixing with tears where clear in here eyes until she gave in and placed her head on his shoulder.

They sat in perfect silence for a few minutes until she asked with sadness in her voice; "This is going to be a nightmare," they both let out a sigh like laugh until he added voice calm and less flirtatious then usual. "Indeed."

Hope your enjoying it I am still doing a madqueen one shot I haven't forgotten I just need to find inspiration 😂❤️ I'll try to update at least one of my 3 fanfics every other day.
-Millie xx