TMHTLY (A Hermione Granger Love Story) ... 13 -Part 2-

A/N: [Added 2/6/2016] Hello, if you're returning to this story for this new chapter, I'm going to head's you up, I redid every single chapter previous to this. PLEASE PLEASE go back and re-read it. I'm sorry to ask this of you, but this will NOT make very much sense anymore. I changed substantial parts (especially around chapter 6 and chapter 11). Otherwise, please enjoy. Any mistakes are my own as I wrote this chapter very quickly.

Teach Me How to Love You (A Hermione Granger Love Story)

Chapter 13: Realizing the Obvious

-Part 2-: Simplicity At It's Best

---------- | Hermione's POV | -----------

The letter came early in the morning, same as the previous few. The owl had now warmed up to me, woo-ing softly in my ear. I sent it off with a scratch on the head and a small treat.

I waited until morning to show the letter to Luna and Caden. We're in the Great Hall, all huddled at the Gryffindor table, me across from them and facing the Slytherin table. We were early enough that not a single Slytherin had joined for breakfast. Pansy was just beginning to walk in as I pull the letter from my pocket. She nods to me in solidarity, the look in her eye not quite pitying, but something akin to it.

The Question was a low blow, even for Blaise. Luna thought so as well, mildly cursing him as I read it off to her. When it became obviously that Caden wasn't aware of the Question, Luna supplied for him.

"What makes your partner most insecure."

Caden's eyes twisted into something dark. "That's a bit harsh for him, isn't it?"

Luna crinkled her brow delicately behind a pair of blinkers, "I think he's trying to prove a point."

"Hermione isn't going to do it though, is she?" Caden questioned quietly before rebutting with, "Not that I would mind, but that just seems like we'd be going a step in the wrong direction."

"No, no, of course not. We're going to stick to the plan."

I sigh in relief, twiddling my fork between my fingers. My nerves are trying to get the best of me. Caden assured me multiple times that a plan this simple could only backfire one way. There weren't enough factors to really matter, he promised. I saw his point, noting that if it didn't work in the end, it only hurt me. It couldn't backfire. I wouldn't let it backfire.

When Luna looks at me questioningly, I smile and nod.

"Alright, now we just have to wait for the man of the hour."

Blaise doesn't show up for breakfast or lunch. It didn't make any sense. How was I supposed to complete his own demands if he was never there to see it occur? How was I to speak with him if he never showed his face? My frustration leaked onto Luna, causing her to plan her lunch dates with Neville. He took it in stride, understanding without full context of the situation. Luna was truly lucky to have him.

The whole school seemed to be holding its breath with us. A day had hardly passed over break where Blaise and I hadn't publically fought. My impatience showed, it seemed. First Years steered clear as I settled into the Library in order to distract myself. Caden followed me endlessly, there in case Blaise happened to show. Not a crutch, but definitely a fall back if I lost my guts.

I tried not to confide in him as we passed the day together, Luna never too far behind.

I'd read Hogwarts: A History through once more during that day. The information hadn't been absorbed quite as effectively as it usually was. I was distracted by myself, by my impatience and small huffs of disappointment.

Going to dinner seemed meaningless at this point. The chances of him showing up were small at best. I didn't even want to calculate an exact number. I was sure it would only disappoint me further.

Luna kept a light air about her though, encouraging me to keep my hopes up. She proved right when we all stepped into the Great Hall and Blaise was sitting in his usual spot. My hand quickly clutched hers, palm sweaty and eyes darting across his features. He was laughing at something Goyle said, a rare occasion.

Caden's hand on the small of my back was the only thing that caused me to move forward. Together we all made our way over to Gryffindor table. Luna spotted Neville ahead, angling us to sit by him. Letting myself be led by my friends, I kept my eyes on Blaise. He seemed to be intentionally not looking over. His eyes were restless, I could tell even from this distance. He squirmed in his seat, purposefully placing his entire shoulder towards me.

I don't sit down with the rest of them when we reach the table, as planned. Luna's grip on my hand tightens for moment before fully letting go. Caden nudges my back again, this time near the Slytherin's. I had to have imagined the "good luck" that passed between us.

My gaze is tunnel and my feet are light on the stone floors. I'm wearing comfortable clothes as small comfort: jeans, a t-shirt, another oversized sweater with sleeves that went passed by fingertips. There are cotton balls in my throat and butterflies in my stomach.

Goyle is looking at me now, his eternally worried expression turning somewhat confused further. His lips are pinched and brows low. He'd buzzed his hair since I had last seen him. It suited him better. Getting his attention only followed with that of Blaise.

The look in his eyes was hard to decipher. It mixed doubt and bewilderment perfectly. An air of complete silence settled over the Hall. Chatter could still be heard, tittering of other students. I could feel the gazes of Luna, Caden, and Goyle on my face. None of it seemed to matter.

I'm fully in front of him now, looking down at him, eyes steady and heart the opposite. Blaise swings his legs out from under the table, seemingly trying to decide if he should stand or not.

"Granger, what—"

His lips are soft, surprise seeming to cut off anything sharp. Cheek in my hand, I know he won't respond immediately. My eyes had closed voluntarily, not wanting to see his reaction. The inhale of his breath is enough to go by. It's let go against my face, warm and somehow accepting. I take that as insurance to keep kissing him with hesitant, closed lips. I grip his jaw, hand soon pressing into his pulse before dragging myself away. He sighs inaudibly as I pull away from him. Backing away seems harder this time around. Blaise's eyes aren't opened yet, still seemingly processing what has happened. My hopes soar as brown eyes meet mine, roaring in my ears and pattering against my ribcage.

========

Love and fireworks,

unique-goddess