Chapter 4 (Leahs pov)

"Do you want to come to California with us?" The cute guy who's name I guess was "10k" asked me.

Who is this guy?? Why would him and his weird, blue friend want anything to do with a little baby they just caught crying her eyes out?? I mean, what about the rest of their group that were still down in the streets? Would they want anything to do with me?

10k looked down, not being able to make eye contact with me. Am I that awful looking? I haven't looked at myself in a mirror in quite a while.

"Our group, we are trying to get my friend here to California and having an extra person with us wouldn't necessarily hurt" the boy said, looking right past me "once these Z's pass I can bring you to them"

"Why would you want me to come?" I say, furrowing my eyes "I don't have much to offer I don't think"

"Well we can always use more people, ya know to uhh..."

This guy was stuttering and all over the place with his words. He doesn't even have a reason to want me to go.

"I don't want to just leave you here, those big waves of Z's are becoming a lot more common and I don't want you to be all alone next time one comes through"

"If it's not too much trouble, maybe I can stick with you guys for a few miles" I say quietly. He does have a point, there are way more Z's than people and they just happen to travel in huge "waves" as 10k said.

"Great!" He says, maybe a little too excitedly

"Don't piss yourself, kid. She said a few miles" the blue man said. I wonder why his skin is like that? Vitamin deficiency?

"How many are there this time?" I say to the 2 boys in front of me.

"Hard to tell, couple hundred maybe" 10k says unsurely "why don't you have a look"

The boy extended his arm out and grabbed my hand, pulling me up to his level. He was tall, maybe 6 foot 1, towering above my small 5 foot 3 self. He had rough, dirty, black hair and kind, green eyes. He wore a pair of goggles on top of his head and carried a large gun with him. His friend was also pretty tall, taller than me of course and had piercing yellow eyes. He must be sick or something because he looks like a damn Z.

We walked over to the edge of the roof to look down at the town below. I could see the end of the "wave" but it would still be about 20 minutes until it's safe enough to go down.

"What's up with your skin?" I said in the nicest way possible to the blue man "if you don't mind me asking"

His creepy, yellow eyes met mine. He gave me a mean glare, and then leave ones in the other direction, back to the Z's below

"Just a little sick is all" he said "the others say vitamin deficiency"

"That's what I was thinking" I say to him.

I don't think he likes me