Chatper 5 On our way (3rd person pov)

It had been about 2 weeks since Leah joined 10k's group and everything was going great. She had come out of her shell more, learned how to shoot 10ks rifle and become friends with the the members. Including Murphy.

"We need to find a place to get some rest and get away from the Z's tonight" Warren said

The group had been walking all day long, and Doc had just happened to step in an old bear trap and had an injured foot, so they were all ready to take a break for the night.

After continuing for what it felt like hours, they came across an old hunting cabin and cleared it of the 2 Z's that had been rotting away inside.

"I need someone to take a look at this here wound on my foot, feels like it's gonna fall right off" Doc said in a weak, strained voice.

"I got it" Leah said, shuffling over to where Doc was seated on the couch.

"Aren't you a little young to be a doctor" 10k chuckled out

"Shut up and hand me the emergency kit" Leah snapped, rolling her eyes at the boy

10k quickly handed Leah the emergency kit and the scrambled to leave the room so Leah could work.

Leah rolled up Docs pant leg, exposing the wound.

"Damn, Doc. How did you get yourself into this" she giggled

"Please just do something"

"You got it, Doc"

His ankle had been impaled by 7 big teeth from the trap and was still bleeding even after being tightly wrapped up a few hours before.

Leah rummaged through the emergency kit and grabbed out hydrogen peroxide and some clean bandages and got to work.

"This might hurt a little" Leah whispered to Doc "try and keep it down so no Z's can hear"

She took the hydrogen peroxide and poured a small amount in the towel, and then pressed it up against Doc's hurt ankle

"Sweet Jesus that stings" and groaned out, trying to keep his cool.

Leah continued doing this until the wound was completely cleaned up, then she took the bandage and tightly wrapped it around Doc's ankle.

"I know you have some stuff for the pain" Leah added "take whatever you need and get some rest so we can leave tomorrow"

Doc gave her a nod and then pulled out a joint of the remaining Z weed he had left and took a puff. She smiled and walked over to the kitchen where the rest of the group was.

"Doc probably won't be able to move from the couch tonight so he can stay there, Vasquez and I will share a room and Addy will get her own" Warren announced as Leah entered the room.

"Oh and 10k, you and Leah are gonna have to share a bed" Warren added "there just isn't enough room for us to all get our own beds"

10k awkwardly glanced over at Leah, seeing her staring into space, not seeming to react really to Warrens words

"Sounds good" 10k said with a grin on his face

Addy nudged Leah and have her a wink, causing Leah to blush and give her a soft punch in the shoulder. She had noticed how Leah looked at 10k all the time and this was her chance to get close to him.

After checking back up on Doc to see how he was, Leah got ready for bed.

Not that there was much to do besides put her hair up and take her shoes off. It's not like any of them could take a shower or brush there teeth like it was supposed to be.

Leah pushed open the door to the room her and 10k would be staying the night in. The room had a queen sized bed with a blue and white quilt on it, two night stands on either side of the bed and a desk with a mirror in front of it.

"I can sleep on the floor of you want me to" 10k said nervously, looking down at the floor.

"Don't be silly" Leah practically laughed out "it's freezing, 10k, you're gonna sleep in this bed with me and keep me warm"

"I was hoping you would say something like that, I really didn't want to sleep on the floor" 10k said hysterically

They both lifted up the covers and got under, Leah on the right side and 10k in the left. They got situated and closed their eyes, trying to drift off to sleep, it was silent but 10k knew Leah was still awake because her breathing was heavy. Over the past few weeks they had been around each other quite a lot and it was just something he picked up, her breath was always slow and steady while she was asleep.

"How do you know how to treat wounds, I didn't know you knew any of that" 10k said softly to Leah.

"When it all started" Leah whispered out "the government set up a camp in my hometown, they needed nurses and doctors but there just weren't enough, so they picked some students to be trained to help treat fevers and cuts and burns"

She took a deep breath

"I didn't learn much until everything went to hell. A patient with a simple fever turned and bit a nurse, one of my friends. And everyone turned. I got out with my family, but everything else was gone. All the people, all my friends, they all got bit and turned into those monsters"

Leah, trying to cover up, had tears streaming down her pale face, she hated to be a baby just like she had been when she first met 10k, but thinking about what happened, thinking about all she lost broke her heart into millions of tiny pieces.

"It's okay to cry you know" 10k said reassuringly "you don't have to cover up"

"It's just kind of embarrassing" she said, wiping the wetness from her face.

Leah rested her head on the boys shoulder and let out a long sigh.

"I just need to sleep now I think, that's probably why I'm being so emotional"

"I'm sure you'll feel better in the morning. Goodnight Leah" 10k said, sweetly

"Goodnight 10k"