Chapter 6 (10ks pov)

The sound of soft snores awoke me. I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes and opened them to see Leah with her head on my chest and my arms wrapped around her. I don't exactly remember being in this position when I fell asleep, but we were both so exhausted we probably didn't even notice.

Her hair was messy and matted down and dried drool sat on the edge of her mouth, but she still looked beautiful as ever. Even though she could use a shower, I mean we all could.

She looked ever so peaceful with her chest slowly rising, just to fall back down in perfect rhythm and the cute squinty look on her face that she made while she slept. Everything in this moment was perfect. Everything suddenly felt right, like the whole zombie apocalypse never happened and we were just laying in our shared apartment instead of some random abandoned cabin.

I quickly snapped out of my state when Warren peaked her head into the room.

"It's about time we get going" she whispered "wake up sleeping beauty over there and let's get on it"

I glanced over to Leah's sleeping figure, taking in her calmness for one last minute before I lightly shook her shoulders, causing her to flutter her hazel-green eyes open and lock them with mine. They looked droopy and tired, but she still flashed a smile at me

"It's pretty early, huh?" She whispered, sitting up and pushing the hair stuck to her face to the side.

"Yeah, sorry. Warren came in and told me we needed to go" I shot up out of bed and made my way around to Leah's side and started to help pack some clothes into her bag, opening the dresser drawers and rummaging through them, I found a black, long sleeved shirt and shoved it into the bag. It would probably be getting colder soon and she would like a nice warm shirt to wear during that time.

Gosh, I cant stop thinking about her.

-

"How's it going doc?" Leah questioned, running ahead of me to Doc's side and putting an arm around his shoulder.

"I'm feeling way better than I did last night, thanks to your expert nursing skills" doc said "I think you may know more than me"

"I'm not too sure about that, Doc. Glad I could help though" Leah gave him a light pat on the back and then skipped over to Addy. I watched as they giggled and pushed each other around, probably making fun of some Z they saw. Those things could be really dumb sometimes, stumbling around like a drunk person, falling down hills, walking off cliffs. They were pretty entertaining, I must admit, but deadly.

-

"10k, it's your turn to go on a run and I want Addy to go with you" Warren yelled from across camp.

I rolled my eyes and picked of my rifle, throwing it over my shoulder and started walking towards the direction of a small town ahead. We didn't like to spend nights in the towns, just in case there were other people staying there. You would think that seeing other people would make you feel relieved, but not in the apocalypse. The only reason anyone else is alive is because they're dangerous and smart, and those aren't the type of people you want to be around. So we would camp up in the woods and Warren would send 2 of us to go examine the town, to look for food or water or other supplies we could use.

Addy ran up behind me and gave me a push.

"Hey there lover boy" she giggled out "how are things with little miss Leah?"

"I don't know what you're talking about, Addy"

"What do you mean, what am I talking about? You're crazy about her, it's not hard to tell. You're always staring at her and joking around with her and helping her and being sweet to her. Don't tell me you don't feel anything"

I didn't say anything, I just looked ahead and kept walking. Yeah, maybe I did have feelings for Leah, but it's no good to feel things nowadays. It's no good to get attached because one day I'm gonna have to see her being ripped apart or she's gonna see me, that's how it always goes, and it's gonna hurt like hell. It happened with Addy and Mack, Warren and Garnett. It's not going to happen with me, I can't let it.