(8) FOOD

"Welcome everyone, to another year of great fun and learning at Hogwarts. First years, after the welcome feast you will be shown to your dormitories, do not worry. It is important that everyone follow the rules so we can have a nice, enjoyable school year. The Forbidden Forest is forbidden," the first years giggled, "and anyone caught will be given detention or, depending on what they do while in the forest, suspended." The first years gasped, "Several students who's NEWTs were interrupted are here to complete their 7th year of studies. These are the 8th years. Unfortunately there was no more room in the Houses to accommodate the 8th years' sleeping quarters, which means that this school year, the 8th years will have their own common room...."

Harry stopped listening to the speech and looked around the great Hall instead. It was exactly the same as at every previous welcoming feast. The only traces of the impact the War had on the school were the 8th year students and the sad looks on the faces of those still mourning the loss of loved ones. 

Harry turned to look in the other direction when he started to feel watched, like someone was staring at him as if their life depended on it. He looked around and quickly spotted the source of his discomfort, Draco Malfoy. Malfoy was looking at Harry in utmost concentration, but he didn't seem angry, or disgusted. Harry tilted his head slightly and met Draco's eyes, causing the blond to jump in his seat. Harry internally groaned, 'Of course Pansy had to notice him jumping! Wait, why do I care? Ugh! I'm so confused! Why was Malfoy staring at me? Why is he so attractive? Why did I enjoy having him on top of me back on the train? Yeah... that was weird. I felt like... I don't know. I felt like I- I didn't want him to stop touching me an-and when he did I-I uh- I was... disappointed? '

Pansy pulled on Draco's arm and he snapped his gaze away from Potter. Harry suddenly came back to reality and realized that he'd been staring at Malfoy the whole time he was thinking about... well, Malfoy. Harry and Draco both surveyed the Hall to make sure they hadn't missed something important, but were distracted by the food as soon as it appeared on the tables. Ron, of course, was already stuffing his mouth with food form his already half empty plate.

"Harry," Hermione tapped him on the shoulder, "I realize it is quite fascinating to see how the primal animal commonly known as Ron Weasley eats, but perhaps you should eat something yourself?"

Ron grunted something that sounded somewhat like "Hey! I heard that!" through a mouthful of food and Harry and Hermione both laughed.

Harry sighed, 'It's good to be home.'