9:00am, Maxie Jones' Apartment

Maxie Jones was in a mood. She couldn't say exactly what kind though. On the one hand, she was still walking on air after her Christmas Eve with her daughter which was all thanks to Nathan West. On the other hand, he had been gone since then which she found extremely frustrating. She really wanted to see and talk to him. His surprising gift to her made her think about him and his place in her life. Well, she always thought about him. It was hard not to. He filled the spaces in her heart and mind that she didn't know were empty. There was also the very real trust she had in him. He always told her the truth and stood by her even when she pushed him away. More than that, he had never failed her.

Just when she thought Nathan couldn't know her any better than he already did, he gave her this gift. It was the very thing she needed. He had known that and gone out of his way to make it possible. Standing by the Christmas tree with his arms around her and Georgie, she felt content. She didn't recognize it in the moment because she was so overwhelmed but later, after he left, she saw it for what it was. Even with her parents there, the evening seemed incomplete without him. Of course, she knew why he had left. He was so damned honorable. The injustice of it all infuriated her.

She was sitting on the sofa, scrolling through the pictures she had taken of Georgie, when there was a knock on the door. She smiled, thinking that maybe Nathan had forgotten his key. She was at the door in an instant, yanking it open ready to fling herself at him. Instead of Nathan, though, it was Lucas holding a paper bag and a tray with coffee.

"Oh it's just you," she said sadly.

Lucas raised his eyebrows in amusement. "I guess I'm not what you were hoping for. Can I make up for that with blueberry muffins and coffee?"

"I'm sorry, I thought you were Nathan," she said stepping aside to let him into the apartment.

"Ah, Prince Charming. No, I am not. I hope I'm still welcome anyway?"

"Of course you are. And you brought food. You're always welcome with food." She closed the door behind him and took the tray of coffee from him. Lucas pulled off his coat and laid it on the chair watching as Maxie flittered about getting the muffins out of the bag and setting everything on the coffee table.

"You seem-"

Maxie turned to him sharply. "What, anxious? Nervous? Happy?"

"Something like that. What's going on?"

Maxie dropped heavily on to the sofa and picked up a muffin. She picked at the blueberries for a quiet moment before replying, "Georgie was here for Christmas Eve."

Lucas smiled. "I heard. Lulu said that Nathan set the whole thing up."

"He did! And then he left for work and I haven't heard from him since."

"And this is a problem because...?"

"Because I wanted to tell him how it went. He didn't get to stay," she added softly. Lucas nodded in understanding. He was well aware of the problems she faced in her relationship with Nathan West. He remained silent, letting her do most of the talking. "Which isn't fair at all. He went completely out of his way to convince Spinelli to come to Port Charles on his trip. He didn't have to do that at all. And then he set the rest of it up not knowing if Spinelli would actually show. He took a huge chance and he didn't get to see it through."

Lucas sat next to her on the sofa. "Of course it isn't fair. He's a good man and he is looking out for you. You know what I think?" Maxie shook her head. "I think if you really want to make this fair for Nathan, you should go find him and tell him all about it."

"You really think so? But Judge Walters-"

"Judge Walters is a pompous windbag who thinks he knows best. But he doesn't. Stop letting that man dictate your life." Lucas took a sip of coffee and gave her a side eye glance. "Nathan is a good man and deserves to know how grateful you are for his gift. And while you're at it, the two of you can stop this dance and admit your real feelings for each other."

Maxie blinked in surprise. "What?"

"Maxie," Lucas said in that very patient way he had. "I've heard you talk about Nathan for months now. You are head over heels for this guy. He hasn't exactly made a secret of his feelings for you either. It's obvious to everyone who sees the two of you together that you have something special. So what are you doing sitting here? Don't waste another minute." Lucas set his coffee down and reached for Maxie's hands, gripping them firmly. "Get off your butt and go find him. Tell him everything you've ever wanted to tell him. I guarantee you and Nathan will be 100% happier if you do."

Maxie let Lucas' words sink in for a brief moment. He was right of course, he always was. She had never owned up to how she really felt for Nathan even when he had asked her so many months ago. It was time. She smiled brightly and threw her arms around her cousin, squeezing him tightly.

"You're absolutely right. About all of it. Thank you, Lucas. I have to go find Nathan."