Chapter 6 - A flirt

Chapter 6 - A flirt

dedicated to @TheHungryCannibal - Thank you so much for the amazing cover!! Love it!!!                                                                                       

***

"Someone is happy" taunted Cameron.

"Someone should mind his own business" responded Marcus and signed another set of documents. Lee's demands spread even to the decorations and party. It would be one hell of a party and for once Marcus was looking forward to it. A big function like the party meant that everyone will attend. He was torn between his curiosity to see if Nessa would attend and anxious that he had to come clean in front of her, preferably before the occasion. Marcus was so deep in thoughts that he didn't notice when Cameron returned to his desk. As Marcus eyed his Beta, he noticed that the study door was closed shut.

 "I haven't seen you this happy in a long time. Keep doing what you're doing. Or should I say whom you're doing?" Cameron winked his eyebrows suggestively to Marcus. Had it been anyone else the flat stare that Marcus gave him would have been enough to make him scatter. However, that didn't work. Worse, it seemed to intensify his curiosity. "It's a girl, right?"

Marcus wanted to laugh at the question but the seriousness etched on his Beta's face stopped him. Open gay relationships were customary in the werewolf society. Fate chose your mate and you didn't ask questions or dwell on that. You went for it. As the silence settled in, his Beta continued: "It's always a girl! Good, good! I was beginning to worry about you."

"You done?" asked Marcus and Cameron grinned. Marcus knew that Cameron was probably going to shoot him another question, so he quickly continued: "Good, then give all of Lee's party instructions to Ashley to organize. Before that let me see the updated reports from the training grounds."

As his Beta left, Marcus was left with the training reports. Judging by them, he had more than enough wolves for both the attack and for defending his territory once he was away. The only remaining variable were the Rouges that could join either side. By his own calculations and the scouts reports there were increasing number of rouges in the unclaimed territories. Wars, blood flues and assassinations were the job market for Rouges. And they were quite skillful and stealthy. The only troubling thought that he had was Nessa. She was venturing in the unclaimed territories to cross over maybe too often for his taste. She was definitely a breath of fresh air that he didn't want to lose.

His hands automatically pulled up her file on his computer. Every Alpha was keeping a dossier on each of his fellow pack mates. It made life a lot easier to be able to verify relatives and grand permissions to access the territories, and contact pack members for special tasks. Profiling trouble makers was easier and unlike the records in the human society, once a werewolf had showed loyalty and obedience, the previous charges were expunged for good. His eyes darted onto the pages of Nessa's file. The attached photo did not do her any justice. She was maybe too vibrant to be captured on film. Her curly brown hair was pulled in a ponytail and it looked wet, her shirt was off-green-off-brown color that was quite difficult to decipher. Unlike the person who he met and got to know, that Vanessa carried a cloud of sadness in her warm brown eyes. She must have gone through a rough patch before she joined the pack for her studies. His eyes darted on Cameron's comment "Puffy eyes, stuffed nose that she reports to be allergies to her make-up". True, although werewolves were healthy and recuperating faster than humans, they weren't spared from allergies. Or maybe the manufacturers intentionally did not disclose that they have trace elements of silver in their products. His eyes returned to the photo. She definitely looked like a lost puppy that cried wolf in a very un-lady like moment of weakness. He remembered how feisty she was when he was around and grinned. Apparently, she was flourishing ever since she joined his pack. He almost didn't realize it when he started dialing her number. He was wondering if she would pick up at all. He was about to hang up when she picked up.