Chapter 5

Giselle's POV

I cried on his shoulder for a good ten minutes. There was a silence between us and all you could hear were my quiet sobs. He brushed his fingers gently through my hair, caressing the back of my head. I let go of him and looked down. He lifted my chin up with his index finger and wiped the tears from my face with his thumb.

"I-I'm sorry," I croaked. He shook his head.

"No, don't be. The person who should be sorry for is the person who made you do this to yourself."

I bit my bottom lip and nodded.

"Yeah."

"Who did this to you?"

"Michael. My dad." He furrowed his eyebrows.

"What did he do?" I looked away and bit my lip trying to fight away the tears.

"When I was fifteen my brother moved out of the house. He was twenty-one. I didn't really care at that time because I disliked him a lot since he was Michael's favorite child. He always got what he wanted. Michael pretty much worshipped him. My brother, Damien, didn't really do anything to me. He ignored me and tried to avoid me in any kind of way. I think I started hating because he moved out. He was the only thing that kept my little brother and I safe. Michael started abusing me when Damien left. He would throw punches at me and kick my face. He would shove me against walls or floors. A couple of days ago he ran a blade across my neck and shoulder," I said pulling the collar of my shirt down so he could see the deep cut. "He didn't only abuse me though. He abused my mom. She saw me every time I was beaten by Michael. He was an alcoholic and was into drugs. He raped me and took me to prostitution houses so I could receive money and pay the drugs and bottles of beer for him. My mom had enough of what was going on. So, one day she took two guns. One pointed at me and one at her. She was crying and apologizing for making my life a living hell. The neighbors heard screams and called the police. They got here in time to save me. My mom didn't want anyone to touch her. She told them if they did, she would kill them. They couldn't do anything anyways. If she killed one of them, they would kill her. They would give her exactly what she wanted. Death. All she wanted was to die. She wanted to take me, but I guess God has a better reason for me in life. I kind of wish I would've gone with her though. I wouldn't have to go through all this pain. I don't want to feel like I belong to nothing. I don't want to feel like I'm alone. Nobody wants me. Nobody cares. No one can save me from my own thoughts. People say to stay away from your own triggers, but how can you stay away from your own mind? I have a war in my head that I've been fighting to win. I told my brother to be a warrior, but how can he when I'm not even acting like one? I'm weak. People know my weaknesses and only make it worse. I'm tired of all this bullshit. I just want someone who won't leave. Don't you see? Don't you see these scars? I just want to go! I don't want to deal with any of this anymore because the sleep I crave is the one you never wake up from." I looked down as I felt a tear creep upon my cheek.

"Princess, don't say that! You're beautiful and you deserve to live. Don't you ever think differently. I promise I'll always be here. I won't ever leave you and that's a promise." He caressed my face and pulled our foreheads together. I could feel his warm breaths that smelled like spearmint hitting my face. I rolled my head and rested it on his chest. He wrapped his arms around my waist making me feel as if nothing could happen to me. I looked at him and gave him a quick smile before giving him a kiss on the cheek.

"Thanks... for everything," I whispered.

He kissed my head and played with my hair until I fell asleep in his arms.

I felt safe. I don't know why, I just did.

Edited: 4/14/14