Chapter 60

Giselle's POV 

"So, how'd it go?" Damien asked, taking a bite from his sandwich. We were now currently in my room just trying to bond again for old time's sake. 

"Um, it went really well actually. We both got jobs there and we're starting on Monday!" I beam. Damien smiles and takes a drink from his juice pouch. Yes, I know, we sound like little kids right now eating sandwiches and juice pouches. We used to do this all the time though. Just sit on the ground, eat, and talk about everything. Some things never change. 

"That's brilliant! I heard you applied for uni too? How'd that go?" 

"Yes! I got accepted and they mailed my schedule already so it should be getting here soon," I smile. I can't wait until I start uni. I'll have my own dorm, even though I really love the room I have now. I'll still be able to visit Anne and Izzy on the weekends though. So, I'll still have my own room here. I'll also get to be more independent. Oh! And Anne said that they're planning to buy me a car since I needed one! I don't care if it's a piece of shit. As long as it can take me anywhere without breaking down then it's all good!

"That's great! You sound excited," Damien chimes in. I nod enthusiastically. 

"Of course I am! I've been planning this for years now and working my butt off in school just for this moment!" I practically yell. Hopefully I don't wake Anne up. She's had a rough couple of days with work and such so she can get very tired sometimes.

"What are you planning to study?" He gulps down the rest of his juice. 

"I'm going to be working in the medical field," I nod. He looks up at the ceiling and I do too, but there's nothing there which tells me he was just thinking. 

"Reason being?" His voice trails off. 

"I don't know. I like the idea of helping people. There are some doctors and nurses out there that don't really care about how you feel or if you're recovering, but I'd like to change that. But sometimes I think about how I may be the reason between someone dying or someone living," I explain. He's lost in thought. I know it's going to be hard to be able to become a nurse, but I'll try my best. I want to be able to make a change in the world and not just be known as a girl who's dreams were crushed and had her dad rape her. 

"What about your boyfriend? What is he studying?" He spits out the word boyfriend like it was some rotten leftover food. I sigh. He's never going to understand how happy Niall makes me. 

"He's studying music and psychology," I reply. Niall had told me how he wanted to study music and possibly become known for making his own. And if he didn't make it that far then he could be a music teacher for kids. He's also studying Psychology because he's interested in how the human's brain works. Now I know why he's always saying that things can have double meanings depending on how the person sees it. 

"Don't psychologists treat like... mental people?" He asks. At this point I just want to slap him. We were having a nice conversation until this took a wrong turn.

"If you think that then I guess you're calling me a mental person," I look at him dead in the eyes and I  know he regrets saying that in the first place when he looks away shamefully. Good. 

"Why did you go have to see a psychologist?" He dares to ask. Does he seriously not know?

"Oh, I don't know? Maybe because I saw my mum kill herself, saw my brother get abused, and got sexually harassed by my own father when I didn't have my brother to look after me," I spit. I'm seriously so over this conversation that we always seem to have. Every time we talk we end up talking about the past and get into a fight about it. But surprisingly this time, Damien doesn't say anything. And just for a second I think I have gone too far. I decide that I should leave before he says something that he regrets. "I'm going out to get some fresh air." 

I grab my jacket that was resting on the chair and walk out of the room. I hurry upstairs and go out to the balcony where I find Harry sitting on the bench. I sigh and walk over to sit by him. We don't say a word to each other until I decide to speak up. 

"When did life get so hard?" I rest my head on Harry's shoulder and close my eyes. 

"When we grew up," Harry whispered after a while. His words got me thinking. I removed my head from his shoulder to look up at him. He was staring off into the horizon. His stare was tense and his jaw was clenched. I furrowed my eyebrows. 

"What's wrong?" I ask. Suddenly all my anger towards Damien was gone and all I cared about was Harry and why he was acting this way. 

"Nothing," he huffed. 

"Don't you give me that bullshit," I scoff. "Go on, tell me." He sighed and finally broke his stare and looked over to me. 

"It's just my mum. I don't know what's wrong with her," he said, his voice cracking at the end. 

"What do you mean?" I asked, not quite sure of what he was talking about. 

"Haven't you noticed? She's been sad for days now," his voice faltered. Now that I come to think of it, she has been quite off these past few days. 

"Do you know why?" I ask. 

"No, but I think I have an idea about what might be the cause," he said. I nod for him to continue. "I think it's Robin." Robin was the last person I thought would come into this. I mean, she seemed so happy to be with him. 

"Why do you think it's him?" I ask, truly curious as to why Harry thinks it's him. 

"I don't know. I mean, I don't think any of us have done anything huge to upset her? We usually only see the nice side of Robin, but I wonder what he says or does when we're not there," Harry replies. This has me pondering for a bit and I can't help but want to see if any of it is true. 

"I'll be back," I excuse myself from Harry and walk inside the house. Anne is sitting down reading a book on the couch while the TV is on, but she doesn't seem to be paying attention to either one. 

"Anne?" I whisper, but she doesn't seem to hear me. "Anne?!" I repeat, louder this time. She snaps out of her trance and looks over to me. She blinks a couple of times before shaking her head. 

"Sorry, what?" Anne asks. I open my mouth to say something and then close it again, not knowing what to say because I seriously didn't have a reason for getting her to pay attention to me. Izzy then comes in the room carrying a board game in his arms. 

"Hey Anne? Do you want to play a board game with me?" Izzy asks and I'm so glad he does because then the conversation we had earlier would have become so awkward. Good thing our past conversation is long forgotten. 

"Sorry Kiddo, can't I'm kind of busy," Anne replies. Israel's face falls instantly and I know that Anne notices it too because she tries to avoid it by reading her book. 

"I'll play with you bud," I rake my fingers through Izzy's hair and he smiles up at me. "Harry will play with us too!" 

Anne brings her book down to her laps and gives me a sad smile, but I don't give her one. I might come off as annoyed, but that's exactly what I am right now. She couldn't stop reading just so she could play a game with her foster kid? I mean, she hardly has time for us now! She has to work every day and I know I should be thankful that she's trying to support this family, but if it's too tiring and stressful then why did she even adopt us? I thought we were finally going to be a family, but even Harry doesn't feel like a family. 

Anne frowns when she sees that I won't give her a smile in return and pays attention to her book again. I sigh loudly and guide Izzy outside where Harry is. I sit across from Harry on the ground. He's looking down at his hands. 

"You were right," I say. He looks up at me questioningly. "There's something wrong with her."

------------------------------------------

So so sorry I haven't updated.

I actually have a life now omg. But seriously I have been busy with soccer, homework, and friends. 

I might only be updating once a week now. So sorry :( 

Tell me what you think about this chapter though (I'm a bit rusty)