Chapter 5

Morning comes rather quickly. I open my eyes and that when I realize I am in the middle of the bed. More importantly Kota  is too, with his arm draped over me. As I turn to look at him, he starts stirring around. I feel his hand move over to my cheek bone and pull my face towards his. I stare at him confused. "Good morning sw-" He opens his eyes and stops dead sentence. Shocked he looks at me, then him, and finally scoots away. "I am so sorry," he cuts off the television and walks out of the room. My body is still exhausted so I fall back to sleep.

I wake up starved and dizzy. I push my self out of the bed and onto the floor. It seems easy enough to stand so I take my chances of walking. As soon as I reach Kota's bedroom door I regret it. The room starts spinning and I start to lose my balance. When I step into the hallway, I do, and fall onto a table. I take out a vase as I go down and hit my head on the corner of the table. The vase hits the ground and shatters; I feel a searing pain in my fore arm. Kota rushes up the stairs. "I am so sorry," I start. "Don't apologize, the vase was cheap anyways, are you okay?" I push myself up. "I think so." I raise up my arm and see the blood running down it.  "I'll take that as a no." He helps me up and into the bathroom. He takes me over to the sink. "Hop up." I close my eyes and push myself onto the counter, "Do you have an ibuprofen?" He rattles around in the closet, "Um, yes." He walks over to me, arms filled with medical supplies. "Think your taking it a little over board?" I motion toward his hands "Hard to tell," he says reaching around me and filling a small cup with water, "Here is your medicine, as requested. Now let's take a look at that arm." I swallow the pill and hold up my arm. He wipes off the blood and cleans the cut up. "The good news you don't need stiches, the bad news you will probably have a scar," He says as he sprays it with anti-bacterial spray; I cringe from the burn. "Great, just another one to add to the collection." He laughs as puts on a pad and raps gauze around my arm. "Now onto your head."

"I am positive it is fine, just a kno-" I stop as he touches it and pain pulses through my head, "knot," I finish as I catch a glimpse into his eyes. He slides his hand down to my cheek, but then quickly looks away. I reach and turn his face back. Then the space between us closes until my lips are pressed to his. He pulls away leaving just milometers of space between our lips. He leans back towards me when the door bell rings. "I am sorry about your head, I'll be back," he shakes his head and walks away. I can tell he was sorry about more than touching my head. I shouldn't have done that.  It was very stupid. I have no clue who Kota is beside a kind person to me in bad situation. I start to feel really bad. Even though my symptoms start to fade the longer I am awake, my head pounds. I slide off the counter, now confident in my ability to walk, I ease into the hallway and stop at the table. I hear Kota and an elderly woman with a southern accent coversating downstairs.

"Thank you for letting me keep her for a few days," she says.

"Like I said before, it's no problem she deserve to be able to see you and her family," Kota replies

I look at a picture on the table. My chest sinks. Kota is holding a baby with woman at his side. I ease over to the stair. Careful not to make a sound, I ease down the first two.

"Well, I better be heading back home, Jim is waiting on me to fix dinner. He was wanting soup beans, so I'll have to start now to get them done. You can come over if you want."

"Thank you for the invitation, but I have things to do around here before Lila gets back from her trip."

"Oh, well I guess I'll talk to you sometime later."

"I look forward to it, bye"

"Goodbye, Kota."

The door shuts back.  I walked into his living room in utter shock. I look at him holding his little girl asleep in his arm. He sees me with my eyes widen. "You have a chi-, and you are marri-" He holds out his hand, "Calm down, let's talk about this, let me go lay her down." He walks past me and up the stairs. How did I miss this? How did I miss for two days that there was a child and a woman that lived here? In my defense neither of them where here and I was asleep or out of it most if the time.