Dreams

Cake hugged me bye for the night, saying that tomorrow we'll go back to the tree house and get all my stuff and bring it to the castle.

I went to bed alone, learning that Gumball usually works all night and ends up passing out in his lab. I slide under the sheets of our bed, an unsettling feeling flowing over me. The silent walls of the room in the darkness are imposing. I reflexively reach to my side, as if I expected something to be there, but there was only cold empty sheets. I fall asleep alone.

I hear a creak and the door opens, letting a stream of light in from the hall. I squint against the light as foot steps make their way towards me. "Mistress!"

I rub my eyes and let them focus, "Peppermint Maid?" I mummer before I yawn.

"Blood. Now." something glints in the light; a knife.

I recoil, "Uhh, now?"

"now." she grabs my right hand and runs the blade across my palm.

"Ahh!" I silently scream. She moves my hand over a vile as the blood starts to flow from my hand. "This wasn't part of the deal; waking me up in the middle of the night. What do you need that-"

She closes the vile and tosses a dust in my face and I pass out.

I wake with a start, my eyes darting around a still dark room. I turn on a bedside lamp and look at my hand, seemingly free of blood or scar. "Must have been a dream..."

"A bad dream." a voice sounds from the edge of the darkness.

I gasp and start looking around for my sword, only to realize it's still at the tree house. "Who's there?! What are you doing here?!" I jump out of bed, ready to fight.

"Fi," A figure steps out of the darkness, "what are you doing here?"

I take a slight step backwards, "This is my bedroom." I answer. "Now answer me!"

"Oh, Fi," he rushes me, but before I can react he entraps me in his arms...and kisses me.

I try to struggle but he holds me tight, so I decide to just ride it out. I don't react, I don't move as he crushes his mouth against mine.

He picks me up and spins us in a circle, the whole time his lips never leaving mine. He finally sets me down and looks at me through the black hair hanging in his eyes. "Fi? It's me."

I take a step back, and punch him right in the face, "Get out or I'll call the guards!" I whisper shout.

He staggers back, "Well that wasn't exactly the reunion I was expecting.... What's wrong?"

"You're in my room, that's what!" I start throwing things across the room at him.

"Fionna! Stop!" he dodges all my attacks and restrains my arms, holding them at my sides.

I struggle with no success, realizing he's much stronger than me. "Why are you here?! What do you want?!"

He searches my eyes, "My girlfriend." he says solemnly.

"Well I assure you, she isn't here." I say coldly.

He slowly lets me go, confusion and disbelief on his face, "Apparently not." he seems to catch the wedding band on my left hand. "Sorry your Majesty." he turns towards the window, that I now just realized was open, and sits on the edge and jumps off.

I rush to the window, worried, only to see him floating away, drifting on the wind.

"I had the strangest dreams last night, Cake." I mention as we walk out of the Candy Kingdom towards the tree house.