I Promise

Marshall:

I follow the nurse though the hospital with Amelia in my arms and a pit in my stomach. I’m lead to a door at the end of the hall; she doesn’t open it for me, just nodding towards the glass window in the door. I pull Amelia closer to my chest before peering in the glass. 

I become aware of the rapidly beeping alarms emanating from the room, setting up my premonition of what I might see.

Inside the room several doctors and nurses rush around the room, working over a motionless body. I back away from the window and close my eyes, my breathing becoming heavy. "Miss?" I ask the nurse calmly, "Can you take Amelia for a while, keep her safe and comfortable?"

She nods, "Yes, of course. We'll be in the baby ward." I hand over a sleeping Amelia. They leave me by myself in the empty corridor next to the door with the window. The beeps cease from inside; that’s when I rush in.

DP is speaks, "I’m calling it. Time of death-"

"STOP!" I roar. The crowd of nurses part suddenly, revealing the stiff face of Fionna. This image shakes me, physically knocking me back a step.

DP takes this moment of hesitation, "Marshall, we've done everything we could, her heart just gave out, there's nothing left we can do." he rushes his words, taking a step back from the bed.

I rush to her side, holding her limp hand, "Could I change her? Change her into a vampire?" I ask, panicked now.

He shakes his head, "You know it’s too late for that, Marshall, she's already gone."

"NO!" I shout and everyone but Doctor Prince evacuates the room. "How, how did this happen??" I question forcefully while cupping Fi's cheek in my hand.

"It's quite a common complication of labor, the woman's bod just can’t take the strain and her heart stops." he explains without his usual 'matter-of-fact' tone, replaced with a more somber one I’ve never heard from him.

I take a few deep breaths, trying to calm myself down. "I'd like to be alone now." I say finally. DP nods and leaves me.

I pull up a chair next to her and hold her lukewarm hand. "Fi, your baby, it’s a girl, our little Amelia." with each word my heart drops a little, "She's so beautiful and perfect; she’s got my hair though, fine as feathers cropped up on her head." I let out a sob and find myself gasping for a moment; I try to pull myself together.

"Pure life, Amelia is pure, new life, I think she killed the Lich with a single touch, she burst into dust. I guess she takes after her m-mom... like that." my voice cracks. "Fionna, she needs you. This can’t be the end." I pause as if expecting her to flutter her eye lids and simply remark 'Of course not, I’ll always be here'. But there is no stir, or rising in her chest, just the deafening silence eating away at my core.

The letter.

I reach into my back pocket where I had stuffed it and tear it open, letting the envelope fall to the floor. I read the words that were carefully scripted by Fionna like it were sacred. I absorb every last bit of it.

'Marshall, 

If you're reading this, I am most likely dead. 

I’m writing this about a month before they say our baby is due. It's taken me a long time to figure out what to say. I feel like I’m pushing you away even now, as if you would be less hurt right now if I did.

I can’t even say how sorry I am for leaving you in the dark these past few months; I’ve known my fate since the day we took out The Book to see if we could stop the Lich. I accidentally read the pages and saw my fate sealed on the page: I was to die in order for the Lich to die. Our child will kill the Lich.

The Lich wouldn’t have let me live this long if I hadn’t begged for our child's life. The deal was made: after our child was born, the Lich would kill me to keep me out of her way. 

I knew I couldn’t change it, we've tried to change the fate of The Book before and it never worked. I accepted my fate, but I was selfish and couldn’t bring myself to tell you. I know that you would’ve done anything you could to try to stop it and you'd just be upset that it would be all in vain. Its better this way.

I hope you can forgive me and live happily. I’m sure our little Felix/ Amelia will grow up to be the most wonderful, amazing... everything. I wish I could be there to watch them flower and grow, this saddens me the most of anything.

I love you. My Glob, I love you. Please go on and live your life. Be the great father I know you can be. Don’t forget me.

Love, Fionna'

I turn the paper over, looking for more but that’s all she wrote. 

"Damn it, Fi," I cuss under my breath, "why, why did you have to do this?" I still question even after reading the letter, refusing its truth. "Well here we are," I chuckle darkly, my tight chest shattering, leaving a gaping hole where my heart was. "I thought when I lost my immortality I could finally grow old with you, but now I see it’s only good for not having to endure an eternity without you." I kiss her cold, pale hand that weighs heavy in my palm. 

Then it hits me.

"The Book said you had to die, but that doesn’t mean you can’t come back." I stand suddenly, rising with my confidence, "I swear this isn’t the end of it!" I run to the door, looking back at Fi, "I promise I won’t let you down,"

.

.

.

.

.

 ((QUESTION OF THE WEEK: What is your ideal amimal companion? i think i would like a giant, silver wolf that i could ride, like Princess Mononke, that would attack my ememies but also be super cuddly like a little puppy. how about you? comment belowwww!

ttyns