Tears

3 Months Later

"It's official," I sigh, "we're moved in!" I slump down onto the couch in our new living room, the last room to be finished up.

Marshall sits next to me and kisses my cheek, "It's perfect."

"I should go see how Simone is getting on!" I realize, getting up off the couch.       

Marshall laughs and takes my hand, "I just checked on her 10 minutes ago, she's all settled in, she even said 'pretend like I’m not even here'".

I can just imagine Simone sitting in her own tree house, only a few trees away, reading one of the books we had collected for her, or researching things in her own lab. "Good," I settle back down onto the couch, "We can finally re-" my breath catches in my throat and I find myself swallowing a bit of vomit, "-lax." I finally force out.

His calm demeanor shifts, "Are you alright?" he rubs my back. 

"I-I'm fine. Isn’t it the day you usually go to the Nightosphere?" I ask, as he usually does dedicate a day or two out of the week for overseeing things in the Nightosphere now. 

"I don’t have to go today if you're feeling bad." he suggests.

I shake my head, "I’m fine, really; go ahead to work." I insist, waving him off.

His eyebrows scrunch together, he's quiet a while before deciding, "Okay, but you take it easy today, just lie down." before I can counter, he carries me over to our bed and lies my down, "I’ll be back as soon as I can." his hand lingers in mine before he lets go and closes the bedroom door behind him.

I wait to hear the portal to the Nightosphere open and close before getting out of bed and searching for the holophone. I find it on the side table next to a framed picture of Cake and I; Cake also being the one I’m about to call. It rings and rings until she finally picks up, "Fionna! Did you forget something over here?" she questions.

I shake my head, "No, I was wondering if you can take me to the doctor." my stomach lurches and threatens to erupt.

"I can just send over the clown nurses if you like." she suggests.

"No! You know I hate them." I warn, "Please, Cake, just come over as soon as you can." I urged. This nausea wave is stronger than the other's I’ve had the past few weeks. Before, I could easily control it and hide it, pass it off and convince myself that it must have been something I ate; but now, it’s so much stronger.

Cake instantly goes into 'nurture' mode, "I'll be over in two minutes. Hold on, baby." the phone turns off and I toss it onto the couch.

This time I can feel the sting of vomit at the back of my throat so I rush to the bathroom and barf violently into the toilet. This is subsequently where Cake finds me when I don’t answer the door when she arrives. "Fionna!!" she grabs a blanket from the bed and wraps me in it before cradling me in her arms and running me to the doctor's.

As she runs, the jostling is a bit much. I turn my head to face the ground and barf on the ground rushing beneath me. Through my squinted eyes I see Cake reach the same hospital that FP had been at a while ago. She bursts through the glass doors and I’m immediately laid down on some bed that gets wheeled away to an examining room.

Once we stop in the room, Doctor Prince sits down next to my bed. "So, what am I looking at here, exactly?" he asks, noting things down onto his clipboard. 

Cake curls up under my arm, her eyes asking if she should explain. I shake my head and start talking, "I've just been really nauseous lately and it keeps getting worse."