Something's Up

"Gumball, you butt!!!" I bang on the door "Open up!" I shout at the solid candy door frustratedly.

I feel a hand on my shoulder, "Fionna," he warns in a whisper, "it's his own dumb kingdom, it's none of our business how he runs it." he tugs on my pack.

I shake him off, "But I protect the innocent, and I know Candy Cane Guy is innocent, I could see it." I knock even harder.

And just as I’m about to bust open the door it swings open to reveal Gumball himself.

"Oh, I should have known it was you." Gumball remarks with disinterest, his attention focused behind him in that he kept looking back at something.

I ignore it and get straight to the point, "Why are they arresting Candy Cane Guy for robbery, and why did the order come from you? You aren't one for roaming among the people anymore." I grow ever more suspicious.

He opens his mouth to say something, then closes it again, seeming to rethink his words, he says "I got a complaint, and I don't know who from." he rushes the last part before I could ask his source.

"Well that doesn't sound very reliable." I accuse. "I ran into the banana guards who were making the arrest right in front of me, and I saw in Candy Cane Guy's eyes he was innocent." I tell him straight out.

He eyes me with a big fake smile on his face, "That doesn't sound very reliable to me." he snarks, and begins to close the door.

"How many times have you trusted my judgment before, hmm?" I prompt as I hold the door open, "10, 20 times you came to me for help because you trusted MY good judgment?" I throw my words at him in full accusation now.

He releases the pressure on the door, causing it to swing inward against my hand, "It's different now," he simply states, "goodbye." He abruptly says and slams the door shut before I can react.

"You're right," Marshall affirmed, "something's up here. Gumbutt's acting weirder than usual." I catch the bit of breeze as he floats past me, going someplace I can’t tell.

I wait dumbly in front of the door still, "Marshall?" I hiss silently, slowly backing down the pathway, "Marshall, are you there?" I silently shout at the air, and getting no results. "You better not be getting into trouble," I add hopefully, but knowing better.

I keep walking away from the castle, with still no sign of Marshall as the sun began its dip below the horizon. The brilliant array of oranges, reds and single stripe of pink was only obstructed by a few stray clouds in the late afternoon sky.

In town, shops were closing up for the night, candy people waving goodbye for the coming night, retreating to their simple homes and lives in this paragon of a kingdom; or at least it usually seemed that way, from the outside.

"Hey," I feel a tap on my shoulder that makes me jump right out of my shoes. "Oops, sorry." his voice finally registering as Marshall's.

I turn in a circle, searching for him, forgetting he's still invisible. In attempt to cover up my slight foolishness I query, "Where did you go off to?" worried about the answer.

"Found an open window and just glided in." He says with no problem, "You gotta come with me, I think I found something." I feel his hands grip around my waist and begin to lift me into the air.

"Hold on, hold on!" I protest in a harsh whisper. He stops and sets me back down, "We should at least wait till we think Gumball's asleep before we go sneaking around his house." I try to reason with him.

His mouth kinda just hangs open for a second, "Uhh, yeah, that would be a good idea," he admits. 

"You are so lucky no one was around to see that," I warn him on the whole lifting me in the air to carry me off while invisible.

He shifts his transparency so he's visible. He shrugs, "I’m sure all the good candy folk were already tucked away in their little beds by the time I came down, don't worry." He dismisses jokingly, as he leads guides me under a tree to wait out some of the night.

Marshall sits back against the tree, and I follow suitly, leaning against his chest. A sudden wave of sleepiness over comes me, making me let out a huge yawn. He notices this, "Hey, why don’t you go ahead and sleep for awhile, I’ll wake you when it's time to move." he suggests, hugging me closer to him.

I open my mouth to protest but all that comes out is another yawn, ruining anything I was going to say, so I just give in, "Fine, wake me in two hours, then we'll go". I settle into his arms and gently drift to sleep.

~

I wake up on my own, but am started by how late it feels. "How long was I asleep?" I question a distant looking Marshall, looking at the silent town.

He shrugs, "'Couple hours," 

I push off the ground into a standing position, "So more than two,"

"Yeahh," 

I roll my eyes, "Whatever, let’s get going now."

He sweeps me up into his arms and shoots into the air over the dark town towards the slightly lit castle. 

Marshall flies around to the back and into a waiting open window. We touchdown gently in the half lit hallway. Just as I am gaining my sense of balance again I see his ears twitch in the corner of my eye, "We should move," he grabs my hand and pulls me along down the hall, taking me off guard. It takes me a few foot falls before my steps catch up with his pace and I have time to wonder if this is a good idea.

He pulls me around a corner abruptly, giving us a break to catch our breath. I take a deep breath and exclaim in a whisper, "We don’t even know what we're looking for! What are we doing?" slightly frazzled from just waking up and being thrown into this situation.

"We're looking for something out of the ordinary," Marshall peers around the corner, "Come on," he moves forward and I follow right behind.

"We should check his lab." I suggest, figuring we better start somewhere. 

 He gives an acute nod, "Good point." He stops, assesses his surroundings and turns to me, "How do we get there?"

I sigh and take the lead; not proud that I know my way around here just as well as the tree house. 

Slinking around the castle as silently as possible, we eventually wind our way around to the door to his lab. I stand on my toes to peak in the window to make sure Gumball's not pulling an all-night science session. The room looks clear. I pull the door open and enter the sterile space.

"See if you can find anything." Marshall whispers before moving from my side to elsewhere in the room.

Everything in its place, nothing is left on the counters, forcing us to resort to real snooping. 

I open cupboards overhead, finding different vials and bottles of various substances, drawers of bowls and other equipment. Then I reach a large filing cabinet. I slide open the heavy compartment with some effort. My eyes instantly catch on one file that is ajar, unable to be fully shoved in among the other overstuffed manila folders. 

I extract it from the cabinet, taking note of which two other folders sandwiched it into place. The folder itself had no label on the top tab and seemed to be in pretty new condition as if recently added to his collection.

I set it down on the counter and open it up, revealing a picture of The Book.

.

.

.

.

(( FEATURED WRITER OF THE WEEK: "EmmaLove567" her book "Marshall lee and fionna" is also recommended by our friend Vandy101. go check her out :)

QUESTION OF THE WEEK: what's your favorite dance move? When you are jammin with your friends or in your room alone, how do you move to your favorite music? Or are you a fan of 'the robot'? 'The Shuffle'? Etc. How do u dance? Tell me :) ttyns))