Reality

"Tricia?! Tricia Moore!" The female officers shouts, snapping me back from zoning out. I shake my head to clear my mind and look up at her. "Did you hear anything I just said".
"Yeah"
"Alright. Let's go then"
"Wait, where are we going?" I ask as she leads me by my arm.
She ignores my question and leads me down a hallway to a small room. "You'll be staying here for the rest of the night and we'll leave tomorrow".
She shuts the door before I can even begin to ask where. I sit on the hard bed and look around the room. There's a trashy toilet and a chair similar to the one in the interrogation room. The bed has a hard frame and a paper thin foam mattress. It is fitted with a scratchy grey woollen blanket and a pillow as thin as the mattress.

My thoughts are racing and my heart beat speeds up. What's going to happen to me? How will I get out? What do I do?
I'm interrupted by the door slamming open. The female officer hands me a plastic tray and I notice her name badge, Tessa. "You get 1 phone call after dinner. I'll be back to get you in 10 minutes". I can't even think of a reply. My eyes stuck of the food infront of me. Leftover mac and cheese, slices of Apple that have already turned brown and a small bottle of water. I decide I'm not hungry and place the tray on the floor. I stare at a space on the wall and wait for Tessa to come back. After what feels like an hour she returns. She walks me to a pay-phone style phone and stands, watching, a few steps to my left. As i pick up the phone I realise I have no one to call. I look at Tessa. "I don't have anyone".
"No one?"
"Nope"
"A parent? Grandparent? Relative?"
Afraid to say anything I turn back to the keypad. I dial mums number and hold the phone up to my ear. The phone rings out until I reach the voice mail. Mums voice echoes into my ear and my ears fill with tears. The phone beeps and I hang it back up. I slowly walk back towards Tessa. "No answer" she asks. I shake my head. We walk back to the temporary cell and I hear her keys jingle as she locks the door. "I'll be back early tomorrow morning to get you. The van leaves at 8".

I lay down on the bed and try to make sense of the whole situation. I fall asleep shortly after.