The first enemy.

I walk out of my cell and see Ebonie a few steps ahead. I try to stay as far away from her as I can. I try to see where her cell mate is but I can't find her. I follow the crowd to the cafeteria and find a place in line. I get my tray of food and walk out of the end of the line.  I stand searching for a table. I see an empty space at a table down the back and start to make my way towards it. As soon as I reach the middle of the cafeteria, Ebonie's cell mate walks straight infront of me followed by a group of 5 girls. I stand and wait for them to pass. The girl at the back of the group slaps the underneath of my tray as she walks past. The cold pumpkin soup drenches my face and the front of my uniform. I stand humiliated infront of a sea of laughing faces. Ebonie's blank face catches my eye as she looks up at me. She isn't laughing. She looks back down at her dinner and I walk briskly towards the tray disposal tub. I slam it into the pile and storm towards the door. I can feel everyone's eyes watching me. I am stopped at the cafeteria exit by a tall male guard. "You're not leaving for another 10 minutes." He says firmly.
I give him an are-you-joking? Look.
"Sit down" he says, ignoring me completely.
"But I'm covered in soup! Didn't you see what happened?!" I protest.
The guard pulls a notepad and pen out of his belt. He looks down at my name tag and starts writing on the page. "Strike" he boomed.
"But I-"
"You want another one, Moore?"
"No" I mumbled.
"No Sir" the guard directed.
I repeat what he says and turn back to finding a table. The empty space is gone so I walk towards the back wall. I slump against it with my arms folded infront of my chest. I scan the room and see Ebonie's cell mate and her group jeering at me. They notice me looking and Ebonie's cell mate, the leader, sticks up her middle finger. The other girls start laughing and I turn my attention to something else. I notice Ebonie sitting alone. Although there are 3 other girls on the table she seems distant. Her back is facing me and is arched with sadness. She turns around to look at me. Her tear filled blue eyes and cheeks stained with smudged eyeliner lingers in my vision long after she's turned back around. I wait for a few girls to get up and leave so I know it is safe to go. The guards let them out and I follow the few that are leaving. I head back to my cell and climb up the cold metal ladder. I lay on the top bunk for a while. The horrid pumpkin smell makes me feel ill. I try to remember how to get to the showers. I climb back down and take the towel out of my pack. I head out just in time to see Ebonie close her door. I walk down the corridors towards the showers. There is a small line already. While I wait I look around and read the laminated signs stuck to the brick walls.
'Showers are to last no more than 10 minutes.'
'Refusing to follow these guidelines will have consequences.'