[1]

dan

music slipped through his earphones and into his ears and he walked sullenly to school. the dark clouds looming overhead reflected his mood. one year. one year since his mum left. dan loved his mum. 

she left.

~

dan surfed through the crowds of people in the hallways, dodging out of the way as people trudged forwards. after finally reaching his locker he put away some unnecessary books and rubbish before heading to his form room. he sat in the seat he always sits in. this is, more often than not, alone. he got out a book to read from the backpack laying next to his desk and started flipping pages. although dan referred to himself as 'punk' and poetry wasn't something associated with the lifestyle, he couldn't help but love it. he read poems about love; happiness, poems about hate; darkness. he read. 

the day continued as if normal. except it wasn't. not for dan anyway. this was for multiple reasons. the first being that this day marked a year since his mum left, and secondly because of a strange note in dan's locker. feminine, sweet smelling stationary with a phone number and two lonely words scribbled on it. 'cheer up' said the paper. back into the locker. forgotten.

~