Hospital Sweetheart

MyColorpurple

My eyes watered as I held my mother's hand, the heart monitor next to her beeped slowly at a steady rate but it scared me half to death all the same.

Her fragile hand in mine, I squeezed it softly hoping to get a squeeze back but she was so frail and weak I knew I wouldn't get one. "I love you Momma." I spoke softly looking over my mother in the hospital bed.

She stared blankly at the ceiling and blinked a few times "I know your saying I love you back momma."

She was so sick, she had been in her last stages of breast cancer, she had decided a few months ago she was tired of Chemotherapy so she decided to let the cancer take its course. Her exact words to me was "If the Lord wants me here he'll cure it but if he wants me home I'll know when I'm being called."

As tears were beginning to spill over the rims of my eyes I stood up from my chair and frantically paced the room. Quickly I wiped the tears from my face after they spilled over my eyelids. My mother hadn't even had grandchildren yet, why did she have to leave so soon.

I walked over to her bed, her eyes now closed the heart monitor beeped slowly but steadily. I placed a kiss upon her forehead and grabbed my purse and my jacket.

As I walked out of the room I searched through my purse for my car keys and bumped into someone, my purse fell along with all of the contents inside of it.

"Oh Gosh Im so sorry!" A small weary smile fastened my lips as I looked down towards the boy who was already stuffing things back into my bag.

A smile escaped his lips "It's okay its my fault I should have been looking where I was going." He spoke quickly.

He stood up handing me my purse "Thank you." I spoke softly while admiring his facial features.

This boy had a carmel tone and a pretty big nose but it suited his face, dreads hung down hooding his eyes while he had stuffed his hands into his pockets.

"No problem." He spoke.

As I awkwardly nodded my head I turned to leave but he grabbed for my arm "Umm whats your name?" He asked.

"It's Special."

His eyebrows creased "Well tell me then so I'll know how special it is."

A chuckle passed my lips, any other time I'd be aggravated that a person didn't understand my name but I don't know, his confusion sounded cute.

"My name is actually Special, like for real."

It took him a minute or two as he analyzed the sentence but the he realized what I meant.

"OOHHHH..."

My eyes slit as I brought a finger to my lips "Shhh."

He covered his mouth quickly "Thats a special name Special." He snickered.

"What's yours might I ask?"

His eyes wandered around the hospital searching for something "It's Khalif. I have to go though Im late. Nice meeting you Special!"

Khalif walked off quickly down the hall "Nice meeting you too!" I called out.

By the time I made it home and settled in my bed after my shower all I could think was how sweet and goofy that boy had been.

Something about him amazed me and I hadn't even gotten to know that boy yet.

The next morning I had woke up and reaching for my phone in the place that I usually kept it which was the nightstand but it wasn't there. "What the hell!?"