The Black Bandit's Creed

Chapter 9: The Black Bandit's Creed

Hissing Hills, Forbidden Forest

"Great job Merari!" Georgette spoke as she opened Merari's sack, containing more than twenty blooming artichokes. She handed the sack to Cart who tied it on their horse and the Princess' Seal to Merari who whore it instantly.

The harpies were still in a daze of drunkenness and merry making while the witch, the warlock and the harpy princess snuck out of the hills and into the woods. When they're all out of earshot, Merari flew higher, her wings steady as she darted from tree to tree while Cart whipped the horse gently for them to keep up.

Georgette lowered their torch to scare away the snakes on the ground. It's called Hissing Hills for a reason. Maybe that's why Harpies live here, because one can easily dodge snakes when they could fly. Cart whipped the horse for it run faster, saving its linen wrapped legs and hooves from being bitten by the hissing snakes.

"I see it." Merari spoke as she darted towards the bubbler in the cold forest wind. Cart whipped the horse once again as they dashed into the Forbidden Forest, safe from the snakes of Hissing Hills. Georgette put out the fire on both of their torches so they wouldn't wake the water sprites. "They're asleep." She said as she heaved her body into an upside down position, wings flapping loudly as her face poised inches against the water. Merari smiled as she watched the peaceful sleeping faces of the deaf water sprites. Their faces, freckled with a glowing green hue and their blue lined gills slowly flopping close and open as they breathe.

Georgette jumped off the horse first and took the leather water container that would be about thirty cups of water when filled to the brim. She could hear the babbling sound of the water as she walked slowly towards it. She dipped the container into the water, careful not to include the glowing water sprites that are swirling about the bubbler.

The container was nearly filled when a shrill scream startled the three water thieves. Merari almost dipped her face in the water as she flapped her wings to haul her body in an upright position and away from the bubbler. "What is it?" Georgette asked.

"That... That's a harpy war cry!" Cart answered, snatching the container from Georgettes hand and tying its lids secure.

"They must have noticed our absence." Merari whispered as Cart wrapped the leather water container into a plastic bag and tied it with the bag of troll earwax. "This is where I leave. I will tell mother you have gone home to the Seraphites." Merari held Cart and Georgette's hand and darted towards the darkness of the Forbidden Forest.

Cart jumped into the horse's reins as burning torches became visible above the tree branches from afar. "The harpies; they're coming!" He turned to Georgette who's frozen at the sight of the vicious water sprites, baring their teeth in a babble sounding growl. Their green glow, brightening like toxic wastes as they swarmed towards them, jumping and biting. Cart grabbed Georgette's shirt and hauled her behind him as he whipped the horse.

Georgette nearly fell as the horse speeded out of the Babbling Bubbler but she was able to grab hold of Cart's torso and spread her legs behind him. Her eyes could've popped in fear as she watched the harpies chase them with murderous intentions. Their slit like pupils has already devoured their bright yellow irises and their knifelike claws ready snatch their flesh and rip them open.

The horse ran faster, galloping from bulging roots to uprooted tree trunks, seemingly running for his life as well. From afar the two could hear Merari's voice, probably telling them that they have gone home to Seraphim. Wait, what? Why would Merari assume that we're from Seraphim? I thought that kingdom doesn't exist anymore. Georgette thought as she noticed the absence of torches and killer harpies pursuing them.