Chapter 9

"Ok, kids," Mr. Diaz informed, "Mrs. Diaz and I will do our own thing and so will you two. We'll meet up at 6:30 at the "Le Bernardin."" Star and Marco nodded.
"Both of you, keep your cell phones on," Mrs. Diaz called to them as she walked away. "You two have fun! Stay safe!"
"What should we do?" Star asked.
"Shopping!" They both said at once. Star grinned. She and Marco shared the liking of shopping. They always shopped together.
"We need to go to Bath and Body Works!" Star said. "I wrote down a list of all the stores I want to go to, and some you might like, too."
"Ew, not Bath and Body Works," Marco groaned. "That place smells awful."
"C'mon, Marco," Star whined. "I'll be in and out. I promise. You can wait outside, if you want to."
"Fine," Marco agreed, sitting down on a bench outside the store. "Not very long!"
"I won't be!" She called as she entered the store. Marco was right; the place did smell terrible. All of the perfume scents mixed together did not result in a pleasant smell. Star grabbed the bath beads she saw in the window yesterday and brought them to the cash register.
"Hello, young lady," the clerk greeted. She was a tall brunette who looked to be in her mid twenties.
"My, that's a pretty bracelet," she said, gesturing at the bracelet Marco had given her.
"Oh, thank you," Star said, blushing. "My boyfriend got it for me." The clerk smiled and gave her the bag with her stuff in it.
"Have a nice day!" The clerk said, placing the receipt in the bag.
"Thanks! You too!" She replied, leaving the store. Marco looked up from his phone.
"Let's go," he said. "Can we stop at Barnes and Nobles? I want to check out some books."
"Sure!" Star replied.