The One About Her Ring

"It was my mom's engagement ring." She smiled as the story ran through her head. "My dad gave it to her when they were in their freshmen year of high school, he was certain that they were going to get married so he closed the deal by giving her this ring." Nina let out a quiet giggled thinking about how ridiculous her father was for doing that. "My mother was always forgetful so she often forgot to put this on so the day they got into a car accident it was on her dresser." Nina stopped talking, knowing that if she continued she wouldn't stop crying.

Sebastien didn't know what to say so he remained silent.

"The numbers represent my birthday." She ran her fingers over the small numbers, her eyes already welling up with tears. "They got it inscribed once I was born."

It was quiet for a couple of minutes, he didn't realize this would happen because he had just met Nina but it was nice, they weren't bickering or insulting one another they were just talking. Among  the busy streets and loud people Sebastien was glad that he was stuck in here, it was quiet and something different from his typical day.

Nina wiped away another tear that had fallen and tried to force a smile on her face as she looked at Sebastien. "Enough about that." She laughed awkwardly and tossed the key chain back to him.

He caught it and placed it back into her jacket pocket. "You didn't have to tell me that, you know."

She shrugged. "It's not like I'm going to see you ever again."

Sebastien suddenly felt a pang of realization that she was right but then he gave her a knowing look, remembering that they live in the same apartment complex. "You do know that we live in the same place."

She looked at him in a different way, there was a teasing smirk on her face. "Were you planning to see me again?" She asked him a in sultry tone.

His breath stopped and his cheeks turned bright red. "Wh-what-no. I wasn't even going-what?" He stumbled on his words making it more obvious that he was caught off guard.

Nina laughed at his reaction and shook her head, she didn't know if that was considered flirting or not. "What time is it?"

Sebastien looked down at his watch. "It's 11:06."

She let out sigh. "I'm so going to get fired."

"You could've used my phone." He reached for his broken phone. "But you broke it."

Nina frowned as she looked at him. "I'm sorry, okay!"

He didn't respond, only letting his eyes roll. "Okay there, princess."

"I've never had a boyfriend before." She suddenly brought up.

Sebastien looked at her with his eyebrow raised, confused at her sudden outburst. "Alright?"

Since she was sitting in the same position for long enough, she slowly but surely began to lay down not caring that her dress would possibly get dirty. It was more comfortable. "You were asking how many hearts I've broken and I've broken zero because I never got the chance."

He looked at her with a surprise look on his face. "Really?"

She nodded, her eyes closed shut. "Yup."

His shoulders shrugged but then he realized that her eyes were close and she probably didn't see that. "That's interesting."

"Have you ever been in a relationship?" Nina questioned.

"Yes, we were together for 2 years." He answered, remembering a girl he once loved. A sad smile forming on his face.

"What happened? Did she find out that you were a jerk?"

"No, she cheated on me."

Her eyes suddenly shot open, guilt building up inside of her. "I'm so sorry." She apologized with a sad look on her face as she quickly glanced over at him.

He let out a quiet chuckled as he waved off her apology. "It's okay, I actually was a jerk to her."

"How?" Nina knew that she should just stop asking but she couldn't help it.

"She said that I took the relationship too serious, I never knew that what she had in mind for us wasn't permanent like I how thought it would be."

She closed her eyes again, noticing that his voice was very soothing to listen to. "That just goes to show, Sebastien. You need to have higher standards like me."

"If I do that then I won't get a girlfriend anytime soon."

"At least you'll be getting the best girlfriend ever."

"Whatever." Sebastien replied, knowing that she was right but he didn't want to tell her that.

More minutes passed until the clock showed that it was 11:40, it was almost midnight. Although they only talked for 3 hours hours they really enjoyed one another's company and they knew that their time was running out until they would walk out the elevator doors and onto their own lives.