Chapter 2

The bakery was always one of Annabeth's favourite places to be. Aside from the library, she was the most at peace and found the time passing quickly whenever she was there. The work was long and sometimes draining, but pulling a fresh loaf of bread from the oven was always rewarding. The way the fresh scent tickled her nose and the fond memories that some of the pastries brought to mind made her smile. Like the library, the bakery was warm and inviting.

As she pulled a fresh batch of bread from the oven, Annabeth was momentarily distracted by the sound of familiar voices just outside the kitchen. Walking around the door, Annabeth grinned at the sight of Hazel and her mother talking happily with her father. The two hadn't noticed her yet, but it would only be a moment before her friend saw her poking her head out of the kitchen.

"Annabeth!"

As Hazel's eyes finally found her, Annabeth brushed her hands off on her apron as she stepped out of the kitchen to hug Hazel. With a little extra bounce in her step, Hazel jumped forward to hug Annabeth tightly. Despite having her hair pulled back, Annabeth still felt something tug through her curls as Hazel's arms wrapped around her shoulders. Confused by the feeling, Annabeth pulled back to see what had snagged her hair. At the sight of a thin engagement ring, however, Annabeth gasped.

"Hazel!" She grabbed Hazel's hand and pulled it closer so she could get a better look at the ring. Hazel laughed.

"He proposed last night!" she exclaimed, still bouncing. "It was so sweet, Annabeth! I cried."

"Oh, it's gorgeous, Hazel," Annabeth said, admiring the ring. 

How Frank had afforded it, Annabeth could never guess. He'd worked for the Athenian military for a while. Perhaps he'd managed to save up enough of his earnings while he was still there. She doubted his work at the blacksmith paid as well. Leo had been kind in offering Frank a job when he'd been discharged from the military, but Annabeth knew the wages weren't as high.

"He said Leo made it for him." Hazel launched into the story Frank had told her and Annabeth listened to her every word.

For as long as Frank and Leo had been friends, Frank was not the most skilled in metalworking. When Leo had found him trying to weld a ring for Hazel, he'd immediately stepped in and offered to make it for him as long as Frank promised he'd been invited to the wedding.

"Of course, he was always invited," Hazel said offhandedly, "And you are too, but it was so sweet."

Although Hazel had already recounted the story of the ring, she had yet to actually say how Frank had proposed. With the approval of her father, Annabeth slipped out of the bakery to walk with Hazel so she could hear just what had happened. 

By the time Annabeth returned, the bakery was close to closing for the evening. Her father greeted their last few customers while Annabeth cleaned the fire and prepared everything she'd need for the following morning. When the time came to finally lock the bakery doors, the sun was beginning to drop in the sky.

Walking arm in arm back to their little home, Annabeth told her father, "I'll be gone this evening. Hazel, Frank, and Leo are going to the Solstice Festival tonight."

"The Summer Solstice is here already?" her father teased. Annabeth rolled her eyes. "I'm not sure if I can spare my favourite baker."

"Everything is ready for the morning," Annabeth promised. Her father wouldn't keep her from attending the festival, but the need to reassure him was second nature.

"Come home at a decent hour, Annabeth." Her father gave her a pointed look and Annabeth's cheeks burned. "You're as smart as your mother, but not everyone in Athens is proper after dark."

Annabeth bit back a bitter comment and nodded. Unlike her, her father didn't seem to hold a grudge against her for sending them away. If Annabeth wasn't so annoyed by his decision to see nothing but the best in his old lover, she might have admired his devotion to her. Nevertheless, only angry arguments followed a conversation regarding her mother and now was not a time Annabeth wanted to fight.

* * * * *

As the sun continued to dip below the horizon, Annabeth changed for the Summer Solstice. She had precisely one formal dress and she wore it to every event she went to. The heavy silk of the dress pulled on her shoulders, but according to her father, it had been a dress her mother wore and Annabeth wanted to wear it whenever possible. Perhaps the Summer Solstice festival wasn't the best location for such a heavy dress, but she'd worn it every other year and this year would be no different.

She met Leo outside of their home. The sun was still in the sky, but shadows had started to fall across the streets and Leo lived close enough that it was no hassle to stop by her house. With the tension of the war and the fights that had been breaking out in the streets, Annabeth appreciated the gesture. Even if she did carry a dagger.

"You look ravishing as always, Annabeth," Leo said with a grin.

Annabeth smiled and fell into step beside him.

"Calypso isn't joining us?" she asked and Leo shook his head.

"She works early in the morning." A proud smile flickered on his lips and Annabeth's smile grew. "She just found another family who wants her to tutor their children."

"She's great with children," Annabeth said. "It's no wonder everyone wants her."

For how many private tutors were available in Athens, Calypso seemed to be the most sought after. When she had first arrived, she'd faced many challenges as most families didn't believe a woman could teach their children anything worthwhile. After much time and many recommendations from other families, Calypso had finally built a good enough network to work full time as a teacher. Leo still grinned proudly at the thought, no matter how long she'd been working.

When they arrived at the festival, finding Frank and Hazel wasn't difficult. As they had every year, they met by a fruit stand before eagerly joining in the festivities.