Chapter 13

Poseidon sent the Athenian soldiers back to Athens with a formal letter for Queen Athena. Annabeth had helped him draft the letter despite protests from his council, but she still wasn't confident the queen would forgive Atlantis for the war. In her experience, Athena was not one to be made a fool of and this war had made her look like one. Unless Poseidon publicly apologised, Annabeth had warned, it was possible that Queen Athena would continue to fight him.

Shortly after the letter was dispatched and the soldiers were sent home behind it, Annabeth learned the real reason for their arrival. Queen Athena had heard about what had happened to her father and after asking around a bit, she had deduced that Annabeth was in Atlantis. The soldiers had come with an ultimatum: return the Athenian princess safely or risk an attack bloodier than any other. They had decided on neither, but the entire council was hoping Athena would accept the proposition they sent her.

As soon as the letter had been sent out, Annabeth was escorted to a new room. She was to be moved out of the servants' quarters and into the royal wing. Her nearest neighbour was Duchess Rachel and while Annabeth doubted this would be a problem, she did feel a little awkward about how they'd met. Rachel had only met her once and Annabeth doubted many royals would adjust to suddenly living next to their old laundry maid.

"You're the Athenian princess!"

Rachel hadn't even waited for Annabeth to get settled in before appearing in her doorway. There were guards posted on either side of her door (though Annabeth assumed this was so Poseidon could prove he was doing his best to protect her), but Rachel was entirely unfazed. She marched right past them and up to Annabeth.

"I heard the news," Rachel said. Annabeth knew she meant rumours, but she didn't say so. "Is it true you're here to end the war?"

"That's-not exactly how I would put it," Annabeth said hesitantly.

Fortunately for Annabeth, Rachel didn't stay long. She made a comment on how she was just a few halls away if Annabeth ever needed anything before leaving. Once the guards closed her door, Annabeth was left alone for the first time in a while. The solitude didn't last long.

Percy walked through her doors only a few minutes after Rachel had left.

He stopped just shy of the doorframe and stared at her. Annabeth didn't say anything right away, but it soon became apparent that Percy hadn't thought far enough ahead to know what to say.

"Can I help you?" she prompted.

Percy's ears turned red and he glanced away before looking back at her.

"I just wanted to say I'm sorry," he said, pulling his hands behind him. "You probably didn't want the entire court to know who you were, but I guess I ruined that."

Annabeth shrugged half-heartedly. "It was bound to happen. Now is as good a time as any."

"Still."

Annabeth nodded and Percy fell silent for a moment.

"You don't think Queen Athena will accept my father's letter, do you?" Percy asked sceptically. Pursing her lips, Annabeth gave a slight shake of her head. "But you still helped draft the letter."

"She'll be angry that he made a fool of her for so many years," Annabeth told him. She gestured to one of her sitting room chairs and he sat down. "She won't agree to anything until he publically apologises."

Percy snorted. "That won't happen."

Annabeth held back a sigh and took a seat beside Percy. She frowned and stared at the wall in front of her, trying to think of a solution that could help speed along the process.