Chapter 9

Percy intended to seek Annabeth out first thing in the morning. Before his father could reach her, he wanted to apologise and warn her. A visit from the king was frightening for anyone, but as an Athenian, he knew it would be even more so for her.

Before Percy could escape the dining room, however, both he and his father were pulled into a council meeting. If Percy could find one good thing about that, it was that his father was also kept from seeking out Annabeth. Unfortunately, the council brought news that Athens had not surrendered. It was quite on the contrary. Rather than raise her arms and admit defeat, Queen Athena was preparing all of her troops and the council was willing to bet she'd dispatch them shortly.

"Our spies report that they are training harder and readying ships," a councilman said. A murmur rippled around the room and Percy frowned.

"There are rumours, too," another chimed in. "They're talking about their princess for the first time since before the war."

Percy frowned and the murmur grew louder. Queen Athena had a daughter? As far as Percy had ever known, the queen had never married. He hadn't heard of a princess before, yet suddenly the council sounded concerned. Across the room, his father's frown was deepest.

"What are they saying?" Poseidon asked. The room fell silent and all eyes turned to the second councilman. He swallowed nervously.

"Nothing specific," he said. He wrung his hands under the table and said, "But they're saying she isn't dead. It's possible she was kept hidden for her safety, but all we have are rumours."

"Get me information," Poseidon ordered. His eyes met Percy's and narrowed. "And someone bring me Chiron."

* * * * *

As soon as the meeting was dismissed, Percy left. He shot out of the room before his father could order him to stay. Without thinking, his feet carried him down to the servants' quarters and he found himself standing just outside of Chiron's private chamber. Despite knowing the old man wouldn't be inside, he raised his fist and knocked.

As expected, no answer came. Percy knocked again, but the room was just as silent as before. After a third try, Percy turned and went in search of someone who would know where Chiron was. Percy doubted he'd find the man before his father did, though. Poseidon had many servants out and ready to bring Chiron before him. Percy was just one man.

Suddenly, a new idea crossed his mind. With his father interested in finding Chiron now, Percy could seek out Annabeth without worrying about his father finding them both.

Turning away from Chiron's door, Percy walked towards the nearest room to see if anyone knew where he could find Annabeth. It took him several tries before he found Argus, the head chef, but when he did, the man was able to point him in the right direction.

"With Duchess Rachel."

Percy nodded and thanked him before darting back upstairs to where Rachel's chambers were. He wasn't necessarily sure why Annabeth would be there, but it was worth checking. Next to Chiron, Argus knew everything about the palace. If he said Annabeth was with Rachel, then she probably was or at least had been sometime recently.

Standing outside of Rachel's room, Percy paused. If Annabeth was in there, how was he supposed to pull her away? He was the Crown Prince, but Rachel was not too afraid of him to ask questions. If she wanted to know where he had taken Annabeth or why he had come for her in the first place, she was going to ask. Of course, if Annabeth wasn't there, there was the question of what he was supposed to say. Why would he show up at Rachel's door asking after a maid in the first place?

Before he could decide what to do, the door was pulled open and Annabeth stepped out. She nearly collided with him, but he stumbled back and out of her way before she did.