Chapter 3

The attack on Athens was planned for the following evening. Percy would have just enough time to prepare his bags and meet some of the soldiers that would join him. Although his father told him he was not to tell anyone that he would be leading the mission, Percy didn't lie to Jason when he asked. Of course, Jason hadn't exactly asked about it, but when he made an offhanded comment about going to Athens for an attack, Percy had told him.

"You mean your father finally let you on the battlefield?" Jason asked with raised eyebrows. Percy glanced around the hallway to make sure no one was listening and nodded.

"I'm not technically supposed to tell anyone," Percy muttered, though it was already too late if anyone had overheard. "I probably shouldn't have even told you."

"I would have found out soon enough," Jason said, waving a hand.

Down the hall, the sound of faint footsteps echoed towards them and they promptly changed the subject.

As part of the agreement to let Percy join the battle, he was supposed to train with the guards that morning and afternoon. Rather than spend the entire day listening to Octavian ramble about the upcoming attack though, Percy left shortly after lunch to go into the village. Despite the summer heat, Percy pulled a cloak over his shoulders and ducked into the servant passageways before he slipped out of the palace. Unlike Rachel, if anyone saw him leaving, questions were bound to be asked. Servants would spread rumours that his father would eventually hear and that was not something Percy wanted to worry about.

Navigating through the kingdom was relatively easy. Percy had taken the route to Jason and Piper's home several times before, but it was a little different when he didn't have Jason guiding him along the way. The trip was short though and soon enough, he found himself knocking on the front of their home.

"Percy!"

In one move, Piper yanked open the door and pulled Percy into her arms. Her large stomach made it slightly more difficult to hug him, but that wasn't enough to stop Piper from trying. It certainly didn't stop her from pulling him into the home and forcing him to sit with her and Jason, either.

"Jason says you're leading an attack," Piper exclaimed, wriggling into a chair. She frowned and shifted, trying to get comfortable until finally giving up. While she worried about that, Percy gave Jason a look.

"I had to tell her." He didn't look even sort of apologetic about it. "She always asks who leads the attacks."

"And I'm glad to know it's finally you," Piper said. She seemed to have finally gotten comfortable, but Percy doubted it would be more than a few minutes before that changed.

Just like every time Percy visited Jason and Piper, the time passed quickly. Their conversation flowed and when the sun began to drop from the sky, Percy was sad to leave. Dinner at the palace would be served soon, though, and if he wasn't there to eat with his father and his younger brother, he'd get in trouble.

"Come back soon, Percy, alright?" Piper said, hugging him tightly. If she hadn't had the equivalent of a watermelon on her stomach, Percy would have worried she'd crush him.

"I'll try."

As Percy started back to the palace, Jason and Piper waved from the doorway. Right before he rounded the corner to disappear, he turned and waved back. He'd see Jason the following day when they attacked Athens, but there was no telling how long it would be before he saw Piper again. If he had any luck at all, he'd be able to slip away more often. Unfortunately, he had a feeling that wouldn't be the case.

* * * * *

As the sun lifted up over the horizon, Percy strapped his last bag to his saddle. The military would be heading out shortly and although he was excited to join the fight against Athens, he was anxious about the upcoming attack. He hadn't been given any say over the soldiers who were accompanying him which meant he was left with whoever the council saw fit to send. As such, Octavian was being sent along under the premise of providing experienced advice as Percy directed the soldiers.

Rather than arguing with the council, Percy allowed Octavian to join and bit his tongue every time the man tried to take control of their soldiers. As Percy calmly instructed those nearby to gather food from the kitchens and strap them onto their horses, Octavian directed the rest to do some last-minute sparring. Finally, the time came to depart from the palace and Octavian calmed down just long enough that Percy could address his soldiers.

"We're entering Athens with one goal and one goal only," he told them. "Atlantis has fought long enough, but it's time Athens surrenders and ends this war. Our attack will be brutal, but it will not be merciless."

He'd been instructed by the council to show no mercy, but Percy wouldn't do that. This war would be won with honour and without taking the easy way out. He would not begin his reign with a cheap win and make a potentially dangerous enemy out of Queen Athena.

"Only harm those who are a harm to you." As he spoke, his eyes drifted to Octavian. "We will not hurt women or children and we will fight with honour. It is was honour that Atlantis was built and it is with honour that Atlantis will fight."

As he raised his sword, the sea of soldiers mimicked him and a loud cry came from the field. To his left, Octavian lifted his sword above his head but did not shout with the others. Turning away from his appointed second in command, Percy gave the call to move out and the large military began their journey to Athens.