Chapter 16

Annabeth didn't move from her spot on the balcony from the moment Percy left her rooms until the sun went down. Below, she could hear the sounds of castle workers, but she didn't bother to understand them. Her mind was too busy racing to find answers. She was pretty sure her brain hadn't stopped running since Percy had told her what the letter said. Even when she'd held her breath and suggested they get married, a million "what ifs" had been racing through her head. Her thoughts certainly hadn't slowed down when Percy left for dinner with a murmured goodbye and a kiss to her head.

To be fair, Annabeth was certain he hadn't meant to kiss her head. It had been a rather confusing day and she would sooner assume that it had been done unconsciously rather than by choice. That being said, he had to be at least comfortable around her in order to do anything like that unconsciously.

Sunset was a romantic time of the day, Annabeth reasoned. Perhaps that had affected him.

Even as she thought it, it sounded wrong. Although Percy had clearly shown that he was capable of rather hasty decisions, this hadn't seemed like something done carelessly. The tips of his ears hadn't even turned red like they normally did when he did something embarrassing or by mistake.

Right as Annabeth was about to spiral into a series of "what ifs", a knock at her door interrupted.

She jumped and stumbled through the balcony doorway, shouting "Coming!" as she tripped across the room. By the time she reached for the door handle, she had righted herself and regained her balance. It was a fortunate thing too as Duchess Rachel was the one on the other side of the door.

"Oh, Duchess." Out of habit, Annabeth curtseyed before the duchess could respond.

"I think it's me who should be bowing to you," the duchess said, dropping into a lower curtsey. There was an awkward pause as they both stood back up and stared at each other.

"What can I do for you?" Annabeth asked after a long minute.

Rachel motioned into her room and Annabeth hastily stepped aside. As Rachel moved inside to sit on a sofa, Annabeth shut the door. Rachel waited until Annabeth had sat down as well to explain why she'd come.

"Prince Percy and I are close friends," she announced simply. Annabeth blinked. "King Poseidon wishes for us to wed and if I'm honest, I wish the same."

In the split second between that sentence and the next, Annabeth's thoughts spiraled. She'd suggested the idea to Percy only a few hours before and she was certain he wouldn't mention it to anyone. As far as she knew, he didn't want to. In his own words, it was to be their backup plan. Backup plans were never shared unless they became necessary, so how had the duchess found out? When had Percy even gone to see her?

"But I know what continuing this war would mean," Rachel said, snapping Annabeth back to the present conversation. "He cannot start his rule with such instability and you are the only one who can change that."

"I beg your pardon?" Annabeth asked, tilting her head in confusion.

"I do not wish to force you into a decision," Rachel said hastily. Her eyes widened and she began to speak faster, confusing Annabeth further. "I've seen how he looks at you, so know that he would love you if you were to marry him. I want nothing but peace for Atlantis, but I fear only you can allow it."

Rachel looked worried for even suggesting the idea, but Annabeth was still confused as to how she had ever found out about it.

Carefully, Annabeth asked, "Did Percy mention this to you?"

Rachel's lips turned down and she looked at Annabeth strangely. "No, he hasn't spoken to me for several days." Suddenly, her eyes widened. "He isn't trying to trick you! This wasn't his idea, milady, I promise-"