chapter twenty-one

all rights reserved copyrighted 2016

chapter twenty-one

Constellations were out, open for all to see when Blue and I sat on my blanket that night. He didn't know the constellations and smiling, I couldn't help but turn to him and see that he was trying to find them. He had told me that he wasn't interested in star gazing until after he moved here and had a field to sit out and look up at the stars. I had laughed and told him that even in Maine I would have probably went and tried to find somewhere for me to lay down and star gaze.

"Do you want me to point out the constellations? I even know them in their Latin names," I suggested as I turned to him and saw that he was looking down from the stars again and that he was glancing over at me. We were sitting directly in the middle of the field, and I could hear the sound of laughter coming from the house to the right of mine. I had a feeling that a football game was going on, since I could hear the men in the house complaining to their team.

"Sure," Blue responded and I smiled at him before I laid back onto the blanket and he laid back down to so that when I would point upwards he could follow my finger easily, and incase I would have to trace it out he could see me stretch my hand out.

"See, that's Orion," I told him as I began to trace out out the hunter, only for him to raise his hand up and get further away into the sky, thinking that was where the constellation was. I rolled my eyes and shook my head at him.

"No, here, let me help," I offered and took his hand before grabbing his wrist. A tinge of warmth resonated throughout my skin and I became cotton mouthed but none the less I knew that I had to keep my composure and show him the constellation. I couldn't show him that I was in love with him, because I was sure that I was unsure of the results I would receive.

I gulped loudly at this touch, at how I could feel his pulse with my pointer finger pressed against the side of his arm and could feel how his pulse was beating unsteadily like mine was.

"Azalea..."

I turned my head and saw that his eyes were looking down at me with the softest look that I had ever seen. I had never had someone look at me, as though I was the milky way reflected in the sky, or Jupiter seen in the distance. My heart raced in my chest and as he leaned forward I went to lean froward too....

Suddenly, I felt a weight jump on me and I opened my eyes before looking down and seeing the neighbor's dog, Riley, lying on me and greeting me while his butt moved side to side. I peered down at the Wiener dog that loved me and Blue chuckled lightly as we heard my neighbor, Tiffanie, running towards us while apologizing.

The moment was gone.