"All Along" - CHAPTER 17

A U T H O R N O T E: All Rights Reserved

"All Along" - CHAPTER 17

"Yo," Truth answered his phone as he speed through a yellow light heading towards Cashmere house.

"Truth." Kandi whimpered through the phone.

Feeling his body tense up, he asked. "What's wrong?"

Truth heard her sniffling, before she said. "We were shopping, and she was complaining about her chest, next thing I know she's on the floor."

"Who?" he questioned, confused.

"Your mom." she answered a few moments later.

Truth felt his heart rate speed up, along with his throat getting tighter, gripping the steering wheel he asked. "Where y'all at now?"

"The hospital." he replied.

"Which hospital are y'all at?" he questioned.

"St. Jenkins." she answered.

Truth ended the call as he speed through the lights and was going over the speeding limit. It felt like everything was coming down on him at once, he already lost his father, he didn't think he could survive loosing his mom too.

Quickly parking his car across the street, he jumped out and headed towards the hospital.

"Truth," Kandi called out, softly as she walked towards him.

"How is she?" Truth questioned, frantically.

"They haven't told me anything yet." she replied, sadly.

"I can't lose her, Kandi" Truth voice, cracked as he sneezed his eyes closed.

Wrapping her arms around his waist, she laid her head on his chest. "I know."

"Family of Valerie Shakur?" A young white doctor called out as he scanned the chart briefly before looking back up.

"What's going on with my mom?" Truth inquired, rushing towards him.

"Sir, your mother had a heart attack, also from the hard impact she took hitting the floor, there's swelling on the right side of her brain. She's in a coma." the doctor told them, sympathetically.

"For how long?" Kandi questioned, as she watched Truth look weaker by the minute.

"Well, it honestly depends on the patient. A person can be in a coma for days, weeks, months, even years." he responded.

"Can I see her?" Truth chimed in.

"Yes, the room is 102." he answered.

"Thank you." Kandi said as she followed Truth towards the room.

Walking into the plane white room, all you there was the heart machine she was hooked up to, two chairs sitting across from her bed, and a small flat screen television hanging from the wall.

Valerie was laying there in the bed so peacefully, like she was taking a nap instead of being in a coma.

Standing near the door, Kandi fidgeted with her phone; she hated hospital's, but stayed because she knew Truth needed her.

Rushing to her side, Truth looked down at his sleeping mother. She looked kind of weak, and small to him not how she usually looked to him.

It killed him inside to see her like that, it felt like yesterday he was in her kitchen talking to her, it's crazy in how in one week everything could change. He wasn't ready for her to go yet.