3

3

       From the front, passengers ran to the back. Behind them was the conductor, pieces of his skin tore off, revealing him to be a Crystle. Beside him, several Gemis slaughtered some of the passengers, leaving a scene of carnage at their wake. Some of the bodies turned into Gemis and assisted their comrades in making more of their kind.

       Immediately, Nicholas took Charlotte’s hand and rushed for the storage carriage. In there, the boy checked his bracer as he told Charlotte to stay put. Then, he returned into the passenger carriage. In there was pure carnage. Bodies were littered everywhere, staining the carriage with blood. However, there was no sign of neither the Crystle nor Gemis. Hidden blade extended, Nicholas walked across the carriage. As he reached the centre of the carriage, Gemis burst in all directions through the window. This caught him by surprise as he tried to parry one of the Gemi’s attack with his hidden blade but the blow broke it. Another Gemi attacked and Nicholas stabbed it with his sword but there wasn’t any time for him to withdraw it as the other Gemis attacked. This forced him to abandon it as he dodged the other Gemis.

       He checked his bag. The only thing left in his arsenal was a smoke bomb. Having no choice, he threw it to the ground. As soon as it hit the ground, thick black smoke covered the entire carriage. As the Gemis tried to search for the boy, Nicholas dashed towards the storage carriage, pushing aside the Gemis in front of him. He quickly slammed the door and pushed several cargoes to the door, blocking it. “It’s official, we’re screwed,” he said. Nicholas took out his left bracer and put it into his bag. “With my only weapon broken and abandoned, we’re defenceless against them,” he continued as he took out a wristwatch from his bag and wore it. Although it resembled a wristwatch, it looked more like a bracer.

       “What’s that?” asked Charlotte.

       “Just a memento of my father. He spent many hours developing it. I’ve no idea what it does but he said it has countless potential to save humanity in any crisis. It used to compose of two pieces. One of them is this watch here. The other one is currently missing.”

       “DETECTED.” Nicholas and Charlotte looked at the source of the voice, the watch he was wearing. The watch’s dial turned and shot put a beam of light at Nicholas’ bag. He took out the thing the beam was aiming at: the parcel he was supposed to deliver. Curious, he opened it, revealing it to be a box. Nicholas read the label. “KryGear. This is…” before he could continue his line, he opened the box, revealing its content to be a flip-phone. On one side was a symbol of a shield with three pair of wings. For a moment Nicholas was speechless. Then he spoke, “Charl, when I give the signal, clear the cargoes and open the door.”

       “But that’s suicidal,” she replied.

       “Don’t worry, I’ll give you one-hundr…no, one-hundred and ten percent guarantee that we’ll get through this,” said Nicholas with a smile, followed by a wink.

       “Before that, answer my question. Who EXACTLY are you?”

       “To be honest, I’ve been wondering that for a long time. For now, I’m just a wanderer, remember that.”

       Smiling, Charlotte replied, “Fine, at least help me clear the cargoes. You did pushed it first to block the door.” As she finished her sentence, she gave a wink at Nicholas.

       Meanwhile, the sound of a ‘ting’ was heard from the oven. The man put on his mitt and took out its content. Using many foreign materials as ingredients, the content was gold in colour. Music could be heard as he decorated it and sang along, “Happy Birthday to you. Happy Birthday to you. Happy Birthday to…”