Chapter 7: Blair's Curse

"Do I have to play with Clair AGAIN!?!?" Mira moaned. She was sick and tired of her mother thinking she was responsible enough to take care of Clair while Fontana was gone. "You need to learn- you're going to be a mother someday too," Akira struck back.
"Really?" Mira sounded doubtful. She couldn't imagine herself mooning over a male Eevee like Fontana and Akira do to Ethan and Alden, let alone having babies.
"Why don't you just do it, instead of complaining," her mother suggested. "No! Why can't Glenn or Ben ever do it?" Mira yelled. Everyone turned to watch them. But Mira was not over. "You always pick me, like iI'm supposed to agree without question like some kind of mouse!" She seethed.
"Mira," Blair murmured, walking up. Mira spun to her. "What do you have to do with this? Why can't you leave me alone, you big dirt slab!" she snarled. The look on Blair's face made her make one more last remark that she would regret. "You haven't even evolved yet!" Mira screamed.
Suddenly everyone took a step back. Blair's face was white. "C-come with me." she growled. Blair stalked off into the forest.

Blair stopped walking by a stone slab on the forest floor with strange markings at her feet. "Sit." she ordered.
Mira, having a feeling she had said something horribly wrong, sat.
Blair stood on the stone. "This is my mother's gravestone. " she murmured. Mira took a step back.
"She was killed by- something called a Trainer. I tried to stop that guy, and ended up being punished. " Blair started.
Mira's heart pounded in her chest.
"That's how I got my curse." Blair muttered in a voice so low Mira strained to hear. "Turns out he was a Potion master. Chant a curse. Throw the bottle. " Blair was beginning to scare Mira as she started giggling hysterically. "His curse stopped me from ever evolving. Every time I was in the presence of a Stone or other evolving form, I couldn't see it and it couldn't see me. " Blair stopped laughing. "That's why I wanted to find a destiny for me. Why I wanted to believe I was more than a useless Eevee." She whispered, tears falling on the stone.
Mira wrapped her tail around the struggling Eevee, trying to be of comfort. Her throat felt dry. "I'm sorry," she murmured.