The new beginning (chapter 1)

Casey's POV

Eight months.  It's been eight months since I was chased by hundreds of walkers in the woods.  Spreading blood and guts all over my clothes and skin to escape.  I have scars from every time I got bit or scratched.

Every night since then I've had nightmares of walkers.  Killing me and everyone I love.  And then the memories of the woods, I've been traumatized badly.  The only thing that has helped me get over the nightmares is Carl. 

I'd wake up sweating and freaking out and he'd be there right beside me.  He would hold me until I fell asleep.  We haven't talked about the kiss at all.  We acted like it never happened, but I still love him.

Everyone now is treating me like a child, I'm now thirteen and they act like I'm five.  They took away my gun leaving me with my knife.  They won't let me help in any killing and they all protect me.  I once overheard them say 'I'm the last hope they have for a new walker free world and they have to keep me alive no matter what.'  I don't like the attention I get, they barely can look me in the eye anymore.

I've learned to control my, what we call now 'transformation'  when my eyes turn red, my voice goes deep, and my strength increases.  I've gotten used to the burn of my acid tears.

Everyone looks different, but me.  I haven't changed much, I'm still the same height, I always keep my hair shoulder length to keep it out of the way, and I still have the same clothes from the farm.  Carl has changed a lot, he grew two inches and is an inch shorter than me.  His hair is below his ears and he's matured more.

Lori is still pregnant, but the baby should be coming soon.  Her stomach is as it should be, but I'm worried.  We've been on the run and haven't settled anywhere. It's not good for that kind of stress and the lack of nutrients has been on her.

Right now we're at a house.  Rick kicked open the door where two walkers were.  T Dog, Carl, Glenn, Maggie, and Daryl followed behind.  They killed the walkers and looked around.  Daryl found an owl and Carl found, dog food.

The rest of us came in and sat in the ground eating some owl.  As Carl opened a can of dog food, Rick picked it up and threw it in the fire place.

"Psst."  T Dog motioned out the window which means walkers were coming.  We ran outside and got in the cars while some of the others killed the walkers.  We drove away and stopped ten minutes later.

"15 keep point."  Rick told Carl who nodded.  I stood with Carl not really listening to what the others plans were. 

"I'm going hunting, that owl didn't really hit the spot."  Daryl said to Rick.

"I'll go with you."  Rick said.  I sat down on the road and Carl did the same.  He looked down at my hand.

"Casey your bleeding."  He said and I looked down.

"Shoot."  I said.

"Here I'll get it."  Carl said taking my bag and getting a bandaid out of it.  He put it on me and I smiled.

"Thanks." 

"No problem."  He replied, he didn't let go my hand.  I had a small vision and took Carl's gun. Without looking I pointed it to the side and shot.  A walker fell to the ground and everyone looked at me.

"Oops." I said and Carl just laughed.  After awhile Rick and Daryl came back with some meat.

"We've got good news."  Rick said with a huge smile.  They lead us about a mile out to a huge prison overrun with walkers.

"If we clear this place out we could make this our new home."  I said.

"That's what I was thinking."  Rick gave everyone but me orders.  "Ok I'm going to run up there and close the gate and we'll kill all the walkers out in the field."  He explained.

"That's a suicide run."  Lori said.

"I'll do it, I'm faster and less of a risk."  I said.

"No Casey we won't risk that."  Rick replied and I lost it.

"No! Listen to me.  I'm sick and tired of you guys treating me like a five year old.  I can take care of myself.  And I heard what you said a while ago that you're all protecting me for the future.  But this is to far, you're babying me.  I'm doing it, now open the gate."  I said.

"Casey."  Rick said, and I felt my transformation kicking in. So in my deep voice and with my eyes red I replied,

"Rick open the gate!"  He didn't hesitate.  Some of the others distracted the walkers while other got in towers shooting them.  He opened the gate and I ran in with something to close the gate and keep it closed.  I kicked a walker through the gate and closed it locking it.  I looked around and walkers came towards me.  I pulled out my knife and stabbing and killing them.

"WOOO!"  T Dog cheered as they killed the last walker while coming in. 

"We haven't had this much room since the farm."  Carol said spinning around.

Carl ran up and we hugged.  By nightfall we sat around a fire.  We ate some of the cooked meat Daryl caught.  Rick walked around the huge area a few times making sure there were no openings.  Carol went to go check on Daryl who was in look out.

Carl and I laid beside each other on our stomachs leaning against our elbows.  We crossed our arms and held hands. 

"Casey, I'm really sorry."  Lori said.

"For what?"  I asked.

"You were right, we did treat you like a child and it went to far.  We know you can take care of yourself but we just wanted to protect you."  Lori said.

"It's fine."  I said.

"Are you ok?" She asked

"Yeah, I'm fine." But I'm really not fine at all.

"This would be a good place to have the baby."  Beth said to Lori and she nodded. This is also a good place to stay.  This can be our new home. A new beginning.

First chapter! I hoped you guys liked it!! The song is Amnesia by 5SOS! Please vote for the next chapter and comment your thoughts! You guys are awesome!

~Bethany