Chapter 27 : Fear

Angelo nervously entered the three number combination into the lock and opened his locker. He began to remove the books for his first two classes.

He knew he had to hurry so that he could get out of hallway as quickly as possible. Jason's locker was four doors down from his and he wasn't ready for the confrontation with Jason, that he knew was coming.

Angelo didn't know how he would react when he did get seen by Jason, but he did know he wanted to avoid it as long as possible.

Bending over to place the books in his backpack, Angelo was unaware that Cecile was quietly approaching from behind.

"Hey there good looking, you single," Cecile quietly asked in a deep voice, while simultaneously poking Angelo in the ribs.

This startled Angelo causing him to jump, hitting his head on the bottom of the locker door. The books slipped out of his hand.

He had on open-toed one-inch heels, and as the books fell, the corner of one stabbed his toe.

That sudden jolt of pain startled him, and as his weight shifted his right foot twisted, causing him to lose his balance in the heels.

Cecile looked on in horror as Angelo grabbed for the locker door on his way down. He missed, causing the door to slam against the next locker. This all created enough noise to catch the attention of those around him.

By the time Angelo hit the floor the laughter was already beginning. Cecile wanted to laugh as well, but she checked to make sure her friend was okay first.

"Angelica, are you alright," Cecile asked, offering her hand to help Angelo up.

"Yeah, but I think I bruised my ego though."

As Angelo stood up and regained his composure, Cecile began to laugh.

"You got to admit that was a pretty funny fall. Well, from my point of view, anyway. You hit your head. Your arms shot out and you tried to grab on to the locker door but you missed and hit the floor. Did I really scare you that bad? It shouldn't have. What's got you so jumpy, Angelica?"

"Well, Jason'll be back today and I'm not looking forward to that moment he sees me. It's got me very nervous and it didn't help that you had to go and say what you did, in a deep voice. No, you didn't really sound like Jason, but at that moment, it freaked me out and I didn't know if it was him or not."

"Jason? Why? What's he got to do with anything? I mean, why would you be worried about him. He's a part of our lunch group. You can trust him. I don't think he will say anything to anyone once he finds out," Cecile offered, trying to comfort Angelo.

"Yeah, I'm sure he can keep a secret. That's not--" Angelo began to reply before Cecile interrupted.

"Hey, I got an idea. I think we should keep it a secret from him and tell him you're a new student. Do the same thing to him that you did to us and see if he figures it out or not. I bet he won't. I'll tell the rest of the group so they're in on it and they--"

Angelo cut her off, "Cecile! STOP! no! There's no point. It wouldn't work."

"What do you mean? Of course, it would. You fooled me and he doesn't know you as well as I do."

"That's just it, Cecile. He does, actually. He's met Angelica before. The first time we met, it was Angelica, well I called myself Angela then, but the point is, he met me as a girl and he's hung out with me as a girl a couple times."

"Then that's good. So, why you so nervous?"

"Well, he doesn't exactly know for sure that both Angelo and Angelica are the same person, but he has had the idea. He suspected it at one point, but I think I convinced him he was wrong. Maybe he still suspects, I don't think so, but I don't know . . . It gets worse though, Cecile. He has a thing for Angelica."