Castles in the Woods

Voices.

She could hear a blur of sensations and voices, coming in and out of her mind, an awareness of passing time coming in and out with them.

Low voices, too quiet to decipher.

Movement, she was being moved then set down.

More voices.

Clearer.

Familiar.

"Why a... ou here?"

"Isn't that... May?"

"Hey Jake, isn't this your friend?"

"Lorelie! Hey Lorelie! What happened to her!?"

"... ter... she needs the doctor."

"Hey! Lorelie!"

Lorelie's eyes snapped open and she sat bolt upright, covers flying up around her, eyes wide as she looked around.

... She was still asleep.

She had to be.

She was in a bedroom out of a fairytale. Open and spacious, pillars covered with rose vines scattered across the marble floor. More roses filled vases around the room. Off to her right were the doors to a balcony, which were open and allowing sunshine to stream in. Off to her left were archways that led into adjoining rooms.

The bed she lay in was fit for a princess, with white silk sheets and golden duvet and pillows.

She looked down at herself. She was dressed in a white nightdress, her hair dry. For all intent and purpose, she didn't look like she'd run through the forests like a lunatic then fallen in a river.

She looked up towards the double doors all the way across the room.

Which begged the question, among other questions, where was she?

At that moment, one of the doors opened and two figures walked in. The first was a woman and, no doubt about it, she was some high ranking servant. Her airs and graces showed plain and simple that she was used to conversing with those of highest rank and her clothes were made to be seen in public.

The person she was speaking to made Lorelie release a sigh of relief.

"Jake," she said quickly, already pushing the covers off.

Jake looked away for the other servant and his face lit up with he saw her moving. "Lore," he said, dropping the bundle of fabrics he'd been carrying and running over to her, pulling her into a hug. "Are you alright? Thank goodness you've woken up."

"I'm fine, thank you. Where am I?" Lorelie said, hugging him back.

"Where?" Jake copied, pulling back and giving her a bemused look, before looking around, taking in the room. "Where else? Rose Castle."

Lorelie's jaw dropped and she looked around again. Rose Castle? The Rose Castle. The castle not just anyone found in the depths of the forests?

"How did I get here?" she asked quickly, looking at him, "I... I was in the forests."

Jake's hands suddenly closed on her arms. "What happened, Lore?" he asked, his tone darkening, "What were you doing out there?"

"I... I was visiting my grandmother," Lorelie said, startled by his low voice.

Jake raised an eyebrow.

"Why don't we make our guest some tea?" the woman who had been watching the pair suddenly said. Lorelie looked up at her as Jake jumped. He seemed to remember himself and jumped off the bed, standing ruler-straight like a proper servant as the woman walked towards one of the tables that was already set up for tea, making Lorelie a cup.