Wolves in Red

"What? Antibiotics suitable for dogs?"

The vet looked up from the cow he was treating to Lorelie who stood beside him, both of that in the middle of a field half way between their two villages.

He looked at the basket she held in front of her, at Bramble who was sat in it, watching him right back.

"Is he sick?"

"No, he's fine, it's more... future reference," Lorelie said.

Dr Deen laughed slightly. "Lorelie, you already busy yourself enough with human ailments. You're only seventeen, don't try and learn everything at once or you'll end up making a mistake and feed an old man something for a nursing kitten."

"I don't want to learn about veterinary practices," Lorelie said, "I just want to know about what you would give an animal if they were healing from a wound."

"Why? Who's been hurt? I haven't heard anything."

"It's because it hasn't happened."

"Are you suggesting something's going to happen?" Deen asked, getting to his feet, frowning at her.

"No." Lorelie puffed out her cheeks, annoyed. "Think of it as a medical curiosity. I have a dog now – well a wolf, but it's close enough – and there are more poachers in the forest then normal. Say something happens to him and you're not able to get to him quickly. I want to be prepared. Surely you don't think it's an unreasonable request?"

Deen let out a breath, looking at her. "You can't get your hands on the types of medicines I use. You're not qualified to handle such things."

"That is hardly my fault when I'm not allowed to qualify as a girl," Lorelie bit out and Deen laughed.

"Now, now, don't bite my head off about it, I didn't make the rules, I'm just warning you. You won't be able to get what I have access to, but you're skilled enough in natural remedies and Mother Nature usually gets there first so I'm sure you'll work around it. There's a book back at my office that I think you'll take an interest in. I'll be passing through your village this evening; I'll drop it off then."

"Thank you," Lorelie said. "That will be a great help. I'll see you this evening then."

Deen ran a hand through his hair as Lorelie turned and walked away, stopping to talk to one of the lads in the field, smacking his arm for something he said, a blush forming on her face as he laughed. The vet shook his head slightly. Lorelie May had always been one for the medical profession; everyone knew that, but animals? Even with a wolf-pup, it surprised him. Then again, the fact that she had brought home a wolf surprised everyone even more, so perhaps her expansion of knowledge wasn't all that shocking.

He'd have to get that book to her soon.

~~~~

"Hold this," Lorelie said the next day, handing Bramble a pouch so she could pack the rest of her bag. He was still a nightmare but at least he was good at carrying things. "Alright, I don't want you running off like a maniac, understood?" she said as he swung her cape over her shoulders and did the clasp.

Bramble gave her an innocent look and she glared at him.

"You know exactly what I'm talking about," she said, prodding him square on the nose before opening the door to her work room and letting him out first. She gave her a huff and trotted out.

"Lorelie, I thought you had completed your rounds for the day," her mother said as she came down the stairs.

"I have one more thing to do outside of the village," Lorelie said.