Your Final Act

The rumble of thunder overhead shook the ground under them as Lorelie stumbled off Grey's back and he collapsed to the ground, wheezing, his eyes rolled back in his head and his tongue lolling from his mouth.

The rain was more than a welcome relief, it was like the gods had brought it down, it was so sudden and so heavy, it drenched the forest in seconds, cold and hard against the skin, bouncing off the leaves, spitting as it struck the fire.

The bodies of the men lay scattered across the floor, unceremoniously dumped as they'd been hauled out in a rush to get back in to collect the others.

Jean grabbed Lorelie to pull her away but she wrenched out of his grip, falling to Grey's side, pressing her lips to his cheek and stroking his fur as tears streamed down her face.

"Why?!" she sobbed, staring at him, "We need to go back!"

"Leave... leave it," Grey heaved, "It's not... important."

"Grey!" Lorelie screamed before rounding on the others, staring from Sullivan to her own grandmother. "Look at what you've done!" she cried, "What did you hope to achieve? You almost killed them! Why?"

"They... they wanted... him," Grey gasped.

"What?"

Grey's eyes rolled back into sight, with what appeared to be a huge effort as he looked at Sullivan, breathing hard, "You're... one of the Sullivans... aren't you?"

Sullivan's body tensed, his eyes narrowing.

Grey chuckled slightly, the sound cruel and pained at the same time, "You were tricked, you foolish old man," he muttered, looking over to Nana May before his eyes rolled back again and his head sank to the ground. "You fell right in her trap."

Everyone looked at Nana May who stood tall and resolute under the stares.

And in the second, every huntsman had his gun drawn on her, cocked and ready, a rage burning in Sullivan's eyes as he looked down his barrel.

"What did you do?" he hissed, his voice raw with a hate that came on too strong and too suddenly for him to contain.

Nana May just looked back at him, her eyes black as the night above. "You killed so many children," she hissed, her voice carrying through the air with ease, "You tortured, brutalised, mutilated and murdered those... those innocent children, who did nothing to deserve your wrath yet you did not spare them. You attempted to kill my own granddaughter when she was a child and again when you returned. You suffered the loss of a child and yet you ravaged the souls of parents for your own selfish gain. To do such a thing, you clearly know nothing of real pain. You deserve so much more than the pain I could have unleashed upon you and your sorry soul."

"I know nothing of pain?!" Sullivan suddenly shrieked, cutting her off, "Me? I know so much more than you could ever comprehend! She took him from me! My child! My baby! My only heir and remaining family!"

"Dozens of families lost a child that day!" Nana snarled back, "You were no more special or pitiful than them! That does not excuse what you have done! My ancestor did not kill those boys; at the very least they were alive!"

The gunshot that rang out made everyone jump in fright as the bullet shot past Nana May's head and slammed into the tree trunk behind her as Sullivan let out a howl of pain, instantly dropping his gun and snatching one of his men's, aiming it again, staring wild-eyed at her.

"CHANGE THEM BACK!!" he screamed, before swinging the gun to point straight at Lorelie, "Or I will shoot her! I will kill her this time!"

Grey started to growl, the noise faint and powerless, his eyes unable to open, but he couldn't keep it up long before he started to heave. Lorelie curled away from the gun and Jean quickly got between them, staring down the barrel, his breaths slow and measured.