The Grave

"So what are these lights?" Lorelie asked, following Roth through the trees – unlike the other wolves, he had not offered her a ride on his back.

"Nothing but guiding lights so we can always find our way," Roth said, picking his way through the dark woods, the lights fading away as they passed.

"We?"

"Myself and any other wolf like me."

"Like Grey?"

"Like Grey."

Lorelie bit her lip for a moment, looking at his silvery fur that shone in the moonlight. "Were you once a man?" she asked.

Roth stopped and looking back at her. "And how would you know that? Did Grey tell you?"

"No, my grandmother actually. "

"Ohhhh," Roth said slowly, starting walking again, "That would explain it."

"Do you know my grandmother?" Lorelie asked, skipping to catch up and fall into step with him, Bramble bouncing along behind.

"Everyone in the forests at least knows of her," Roth replied.

"You didn't answer my question."

Roth sighed. "Well, seeing as where we're going, there's no sense in denying it. Yes, I was a man once. I still am, just caught in this... form."

"What happened? How can men become wolves?"

"Have you ever met a witch, Lorelie May?" he asked, looking at her out of the corner of his eye.

"A witch?" Lorelie said, staring at him, "Of course not, they don't exist. Witches are nothing more than medicine women who are dismissed by a society who would ignore their skills and talents."

Roth laughed slightly and she glared at him. He smiled at appease her. "While I agree with you," he said, "the outcasts of society are not to whom I refer. I am talking about real witches. Both men and women who have powers like enchanters, fairies and gods."

Lorelie stared at him.

"You needn't believe in them but they do exist. You'd be surprised by how close at hand they can be. As we discovered. Witches are not to be trifled with however, especially when it involves things they care for. We crossed the line and paid the price. All of us. This form was not to be permanent, mind you. We should have been released and then that wretched witch died and left us alone. It wasn't until years later we met an ancestor who explained that there was a way to break the curse."

His voice suddenly became hoarse and Roth looked away.

"But what is the point when everyone you love is dead?" he asked weakly, "Grey is the only one who has not suffered that fate, he doesn't understand what it is like for the rest of us who are now alone in the world. All we have are our packs, everyone in the human world is gone, long gone, graves grown over and headstones worn away. He doesn't understand."

Roth let out a harsh laugh and shook his head.

"How can he, coming from that family?"

"That family?" Lorelie asked gently.

"Them! They didn't understand anything! His eldest brother so easily sold himself short. His sister's existence was practically non-existent. And his other brother, he had such a jaded view of the world. He who so easily said 'True beauty does not exist; it merely hides the ugliness underneath.' I don't understand how he fell in love. As a family they were damaged but Grey still didn't lose them. It isn't fair!"