The Rose Brothers

"Can you stop people's dreams?"

Lorelie looked around as the bakery door opened and a portly man with spectacles and an upturned nose walked in, looking down at her.

"Excuse me?" she said, the basket of bread she was setting out falling still in her hands.

Beside her, Jake stood up from his seat when he saw the man and Jean came out of the backroom, cleaning his hands on a cloth.

"What are you doing here, Jasper?" Jake asked, raising an eyebrow at him.

"I'm obviously here to speak to the young lady, what are you doing here?" the man, Jasper, replied, raising an eyebrow right back at Jake.

"I came to visit, like I always do," Jake said, folding his arms.

Jasper just made a disapproving sound at the back of his throat and returned his attention to Lorelie. "Back to my question, can you stop dreams?"

"What do you mean?"

"Do you have any remedies that can stop people suffering dreams, or nightmares?"

Lorelie frowned at him and Jake stepped forwards.

"Lore, this is Dr. Jasper Rowe from Rose Castle. He's head of the medical team there and the one who saw to your head injury last week."

Lorelie stared at him for a moment, then set the basket down. "How's Beldon?" she asked.

Dr. Rowe cleared his throat. "The young master is..."

"Not well," Jake supplied.

"But I am attending to his physical condition," Rowe continued, giving Jake a look that told him to shush. "However, he is plagued with nightmares and nothing I give him is working. I heard you have some experience in dealing with the control of nigh-terrors, is this true?"

"It's true," Lorelie said, "but I don't have the herbs needed for the remedy here at the moment."

"No matter, go get whatever you need. You will be expected at the castle for dinner time." He pulled a small bag from the case he carried and set it on  nearby table. "This shall guide you to the castle. Jake, time to go."

Jake followed after the doctor as he turned smartly on his heel and walked out.

"Wait," Lorelie said quickly, grabbing his arm. The doctor gave her an annoyed look and she let go. "I can't go."

"And why not?"

"I... the woods are..."

Dr. Rowe waited, raising an eyebrow at her.

"Lorelie doesn't go into the woods," Jake interjected and Rowe snorted.

"Young lady," he said, turning towards her, "Being the girl that you are, I don't hold much hope for your medical skills; however, if you are in any way a medical professional, you shall put your patients' needs before your own. You will be expected at Rose Castle for dinner time. Bring what you need, remain the night if you wish. I expect to see you at seven."

And with that, he turned and walked out, leaving Lorelie gaping after him. Jake winced at his expression, putting his hands together as some sort of apology for the doctor's behaviour then ran out.

"The girl I am?" she cried, turning on her brother. Jean smiled slightly as she stormed past, grabbing the basket up again. "I see how it is; I'll show him the girl I am then, since he so kindly put it that way! He's the one failing at a professional if he needs to ask for help from someone else. Fine! Let's see him eat his words!"